Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

Forgot I shot this 3 shot Pano of Lake Powell. Shot with a P30 Plus. This is a big print waiting to be made

As a gift to the workshop members that went on this workshop . I would be happy to provide you with this image on disk for you to make a print for your home. Right now it is a 16 inch x 45 inch native file. I would also be happy to sign it. A perk of attending our workshops
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Forgot I shot this 3 shot Pano of Lake Powell. Shot with a P30 Plus. This is a big print waiting to be made
    Mmmmmm----mmmmm. Beautiful.

Diane

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Upper Slot canyon
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Diane B View Post
    Mmmmmm----mmmmm. Beautiful.

Diane
    Thanks Diane

Post Thanks / Like

Fun trip to follow vicariously. Thanks for the good posts and pics.

Dying to know... did Peter decide on a Phase One rig yet?
    Roger
    Leica M6, M8.2 & assorted Leica glass

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beamon View Post
    Fun trip to follow vicariously. Thanks for the good posts and pics.

Dying to know... did Peter decide on a Phase One rig yet?
    not sure what he's decided but he was wearing a big smile ear to ear all week when using the various backs and the Sony files were referred to as having vaseline on them in comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    the Sony files were referred to as having vaseline on them in comparison.
    Hard to compare the files from any DSLR to MF, at least in landscapes with lots of detail and lot's of varied lighting...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    not sure what he's decided but he was wearing a big smile ear to ear all week when using the various backs and the Sony files were referred to as having vaseline on them in comparison.
    Yes, I am waiting to hear Peter's report as well. I know he has put in much time and careful consideration on this topic.

Terry - what's your verdict on shooting with the Sony? Satisfied? How does it handle compared to the Nikon you were using? Are those files eating up too much disk space

Guy - Did you get to shoot with the Sony? I hope you have some Sony files to process so you can give us your take on it.

on all the wonderful images posted in this thread - the workshops are always very inspiring, even the ones I cannot attend and have to experience through the forum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice slot canyon shot Guy, I wish I can say the same for mine, oh well maybe next time.
    I would love to get the file of the pano you posted. I will email to you my ftp server info, and just a note to those who attended the workshop, I would be happy to do a print no charge of you favorite image, just email me direcrt at [email protected] I will give you ftp instructions.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steve i will send that over. Also folks Steve does inkjet printing and has his setup in Flagstaff please get in touch with him on some printing and again Steve nice offer to the workshop attendees.

Regarding shooting other camera's and backs. First let me say i could not even get close to shooting any other back. LOL The P40,P45 and P65 where almost at all times being used by the workshop attendees. It would have been like prying them out of there dead cold hands. Honestly could not blame them for a second, they all got a chance to shoot some of the best gear on the planet for 4 days, can't get that anywhere. I did have a brief moment with the P65 + which actually i still have in my possession.

I have to send it back to Steve at Phase for Doug. As far as the Sony's and D3x i played but did not rally get a chance to work with them much. Seriously I spent my time over peoples shoulders getting them going and teaching them as much as I could. BVUT i know Woody got some great stuff as well as Terry as I was working with them and there Sony's and Nikons. Steve and Peter both had Sony's that saw very little light of day. They were all over the MF stuff. Doug did shoot the Sony and has files to play with . Hopefully from a tech POV he can give his impressions this week. He is traveling right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW Peter is getting either the P40 Plus or the P45 Plus and maybe leaning to the 45. Another shooter Don who shoots the Alpa Max is going through the same decision between these two backs. I actually gave Don my whole series of test images I did last week to evaluate. It's a real tough call between these two backs.

Mike Secina had a P45 Plus for his Hassy H1 all 4 days and the Leica NEVER came out of the bag. He's looking for a part time job now. Simply fell hopelessly in love with the files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was for sure all over the MF stuff, as Guy mentioned on this workshop what a great opportunity to work with all the best stuff available today. Kudo's to Guy and Doug for turning me on to MF and Tech View camera for shooting landscape. Don't be to suprised if you see in the buy/sell forum all my Sony gear so I can fund a "used" mf /tech view setup.
    Don't get me wrong I love my A900 and the zeiss lenses yet I feel that if I really want to get into landscape work mf/tech view camera is the way to go

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,

is it that one?

http://www.cambo.com/Html/products_p.../Item6819.html

What does it mean that this is compatibel with the 645? You would hook your pahse one back onto it right, and then what about your 645? This is like a second camera?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning Peter, that image sure makes a good case for your decision!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter, I'd be interessted in a corner crop of the image. I recently finished a shot with the 47XL shifted for the first time to the full range of 20mm with the P45 and am quite impressed of how well I still could handle sharpness fall off for the print file.
    Would be glad if you could post a 100% crop of the edges. Maybe not absolut foreground but from the bottommost fifth fraction or so but from the left or right image edge...
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    You would hook your pahse one back onto it
    sure, you can mount all backs on the camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Georg Baumann View Post
    and then what about your 645? This is like a second camera?
    it depends on what you shoot. Sometimes the mirror is nice to have, sometimes you want the light and "easy" handling of the 645 and at longer focal lengths (without stitching) the differences are minor so that again the 645 is just easier to use (and to focus).

Post Thanks / Like

Folks sorry, screwed up last time, so here same post again!

As I am asked for what I finally decided, let me summarize like this - and keep in mind that this is just what I can judge from working with several equipment this week, and have a quick look into the files, as we did literally not have much time left between shoots

1) Sony: I must admit that I am surprised how well the Sony files look like. Especially if you use the right exposure in combination with Zeiss glass, this is a clear winner combination for me when it comes to ultimate IQ of todays FF DSLR.

2) Phase: Having said the above WRT Sony, if you compare the Sony results with any Phase back I used (P30, P40, P45, P65), then each of these backs just blows you off the socks. Of course only if you also do proper exposure etc. But the richness in detail, microcontrast (which was compared to a bit Vaselin look of the Sony files compared to Phase if you compare 100% crops) and the dynamic range of the Phase is a different world.

3) And now my advise - never ever try Tech Cameras, as this might get you hooked into a totally different world with such unexpected results that I cannot describe . I had the pleasure to test the Cambo Wide RS with a 35mm Schneider lens, so all the Tech Camera shots from my you will see were taken with that camera and most times P40 and P45. Man this combination is wonderful. Once you get over the initial issues how to handle this and get a bit familiar with some workflow, especially if we talk about stitching, this delivers such stunning results I cannot describe with words.

Better see example below - Cambo with P45+. Not done any corrctions other than LCC. The original is 400M TIF file and you can do anything you want with it in PS. So whatever correction necessary I mean. But I think it is already pretty cool out of the box....

Now what are my plans? Not 100% sure yet but most likely go for a P40 or a P45 (I must say I like how the P45 draws) and then get a Phase body with a 28 and a 70-150 to get started. And then go for a Cambo Wide RS. That could be a winning solution for me - not my bank account though

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Terry - what's your verdict on shooting with the Sony? Satisfied? How does it handle compared to the Nikon you were using? Are those files eating up too much disk space
    I have plenty of disk space and it seems to be the cheapest part of my setup so I haven't give files sizes a thought. On my panos I stitched 5 and 6 A900 files saved as 16 bit tiffs (138mb files) and used my new laptop to stitch in photoshop. It isn't instantaneous and you can walk away for a minute or two but the new laptop handled it all quite well.

As to the Sony camera.:
    1. I really do like the files
    2. I'm usually not a big cropper but there were a few instances where I didn't have the lens reach and it is nice to be able to crop and still be left with a great file.
    3.The controls and menus are MUCH more straightforward (to my brain at least). I feel like in 3 weeks I know the buttons better on the Sony than I ever did after a year on Nikon.
    4. I need to get my custom settings together. The biggest errors were user induced such as moving from the tripod to handheld and back and forgetting to turn on and off the image stabalization.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Peter, I'd be interessted in a corner crop of the image. I recently finished a shot with the 47XL shifted for the first time to the full range of 20mm with the P45 and am quite impressed of how well I still could handle sharpness fall off for the print file.
    Would be glad if you could post a 100% crop of the edges. Maybe not absolut foreground but from the bottommost fifth fraction or so but from the left or right image edge...
    Thanks in advance!

sure, you can mount all backs on the camera.
    it depends on what you shoot. Sometimes the mirror is nice to have, sometimes you want the light and "easy" handling of the 645 and at longer focal lengths (without stitching) the differences are minor so that again the 645 is just easier to use (and to focus).
    thomas

well, you catch me on the right spot - the corners are not as sharp, but I guess this was also focussing?

See below 100% crop corner right bottom

Post Thanks / Like

Just for those who say a Cambo can not be used as a P&S - here we go

Cambo Wide RS with P45+
    Last edited by ptomsu; 21st June 2009 at 16:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    well, you catch me on the right spot - the corners are not as sharp, but I guess this was also focussing?
    See below 100% crop corner right bottom
    thank you very much!
    the corners are never tack sharp. Question is how soft they are.
    Do you remember the ammount of shift? And the aperture?
    I'd assume focus was set to infinity, no?
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much!
    the corners are never tack sharp. Question is how soft they are.
    Do you remember the ammount of shift? And the aperture?
    I'd assume focus was set to infinity, no?
    Thanks again!
    shift was 20 to the left
    aperture was f11
    hyperfocal distance

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

shift was 20 to the left
    the back was shifted to the left... so the crop shown above from the right edge shows full 20mm shift?
    hyperfocal distance
    very critical with digital. you can set back focus from infinity a little bit ... but be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

the back was shifted to the left... so the crop shown above from the right edge shows full 20mm shift?
    Yes it does

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it does
    okay - thank you!
    this is outside of the image circle of the 35XL regarding its specs. Somewhere more on the left of your crop it starts to become interessting.
    Anyway - helpful for me to see it. So thanks a lot again.

Post Thanks / Like

And here the Mustangs shot with the Cambo

If you crop you get decent details still

Post Thanks / Like

okay - thank you!
    this is outside of the image circle of the 35XL regarding its specs. Somewhere more on the left of your crop it starts to become interessting.
    Anyway - helpful for me to see it. So thanks a lot again.
    Where would it be possible to shift maximum?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter,
    Love the mustang shot. It was just so cool to me to see them running wild. Looking forward to seeing more from your adventures with the tech camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where would it be possible to shift maximum?
    in the first place with the Digitar 47XL.
    Here are the image circles of the Digitars (source: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pd...digitare_d.pdf or English: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/pd...digitare_e.pdf ) ... in addition a usefull outline of Capture Integration I modified a little bit...
    In reality you can use the full range of +/-20mm and +15/-25mm of the WRS with the 47XL* if you can live with the sharpness fall off. The -25mm vertical is only possible when there is sky or something that does not require full sharpness in the respective area. Up to 17mm shift the 47XL is good (at f11 or f16), even 20mm is usable if you beat the file (depends on the subject of course).

* regarding the format of the P45/P25
    Last edited by thomas; 15th January 2011 at 08:40.

Post Thanks / Like

Another one from Antelope Canyon

P65 and 35mm

I am SO MUCH IMPRESSED by that back !!!

Last edited by ptomsu; 21st June 2009 at 20:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good Peter. Keep them coming

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas looking at the chart your posted tell me if I understand this correct.
    On a P25/45 back with a 24mm lens, basically you can't **** either vertical or horiz?
    on a 35mm, you can **** a little and on the 47mm you can shift even more? Or am I reading this wrong?
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Antelope Canyon, P65+ and 35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Horseshoe bend, P65+ lens 35mm at f14

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

peter just curious can you post a 100% crop of a corner from your horseshoe bend image?
    Thanks
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Spider rock, P40+ lens 75-150 at 150 and f9

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I almost went home with that lens. Nice landscape lens the 70-150mm. I often get stuck in between with my 80 and 150 and need something in the middle. Nice shot Peter. BTW i still have the P65+ sitting here. Wish i could just keep it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    peter just curious can you post a 100% crop of a corner from your horseshoe bend image?
    Thanks
    Steven
    I would go to the bottom left since that is more your focus plane

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Thanks
    Steven
    Steven

here we go! Left bottom 100% crop.

Not as sharp, seems to be the 35mm lens, is no D lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Another one from P40 with 70-150 at 150 and f9.

Right Guy, I find this a very versatile and extremely good lens. The 150 is faster but weight is pretty identical to the zoom and for travel and landscape the zoom is the way to go.

Or better have both

Post Thanks / Like

Tried a 250% sharpness falloff correction on the horseshoe bend left bottom corner one.

Is better now ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monument Valley. 150mm lens.

Post Thanks / Like

At spider rock ....

P40+ with 75-150 at 115 f9

started to play around with saturation, curves, brightness etc .. get things glowing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree have similar to this also Peter. Good eye you spotted this. Nice look as well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter Wow! I know you had to get that shot fast as the sun was really going down quickly. This is gorgeous.

Post Thanks / Like

Horseshoe bend, P65+, 28, f9

Who needs a sharper image ????

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little different look

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Monument Valley. 150mm lens.
    This is superb Guy - you nailed all 5:
    1 Subject
    2 Light
    3 Design
    4 Composition
    5 Color or lack of to express it.

Subject nicely composed in the frame and the several layers from foreground to background are beautifully designed (wonderful pairs of threes and fours and more throughout). The waves of light and shadow really give this life. Splendid work

Post Thanks / Like

A close up shots with P65+ and 75-150 at 150 f10

Post Thanks / Like

Another close up with P65+, 75-150 at 150 and f4.5

This back really rocks!

Have a nice time, will go and sleep now

Post Thanks / Like

Great shot Guy!

It was really tough, because the sun was already going to disappear. But you nailed that quite at the right moment