The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Thank you Diane,

Anasazi came to mind, just was not too sure about it. I saw a report on a chap who dedicated all his life to archeological studies in this? area. I think his operation was considered the largest open museum for Anasazi archeology, something like that. Was very fascinating to listen to theories why and when they disappeared, the way they built their shelters high up and hidden, and the theories why they did that.

You know, I always find it funny to listen to europeans who think the USA has no or only very little history, in fact they have a much older history. :D ~12,000 years ago the first artificial mount structures are carbon dated, and the use of sage at this time was more than likely already established.

These rocks always fascinated me, while being the youngest in geological terms, compared with the smokey's that were formed during the proterozoic some 600-800 million years ago, they much stronger display the forces at work, from flat out beautiful over bizarre to surreal, you find the whole whack. It is funny, our general misconecption of stone being somewhat static and not moving is so wrong, we are just too fast to see it.

Thinking about photography, now here is challenge for the manufacturers. :D If we could do what James Balog did in E.I.S., the extreme ice survey:

http://www.extremeicesurvey.org/

only in geological terms. ;) Now that would be a reliable hunk of camera.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Those are 30 minute exposures . Just got home and i need to redo some of my images, my laptop color profile was corrupt and I was compensating for it and some are off. Just got home to my 30 inch display, oh the joy. Thanks folks for the comments , was a great workshop . Lots of shooting

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Guy,

a stupid question, how do you know for how long you need to expose? Do you shoot manually and set the time before?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great question . I did a quick test ISO 1600 at 2.8 for 2 minutes than we brought it into C1. From there we started to do the math . Add 4x for 5.6 than 4 x times on time since it was underexposed . Than we multiplied from ISO 1600 to 100 which is 5 stops more light needed. Figured out it went over a hour which is too long than backed off to ISO 200 at F4 to come up with about 35 minutes. The second one was at 4 am so I switched to a 45mm lens but knew the clouds rolled in and scattered more light so I went to 5.6 on that one. Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis

stephengilbert

"Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis." There's an excuse to get the new iPhone: it has a compass, and you can even choose between true north and magnetic north. :)

kuau

Workshop Member
Here a few I came up with so far. First one having some fun:)
This was my first workshop ever and I had a wonderful time, thanks to Guy, Doug and the whole gang, I can't wait for the next workshop:thumbs::thumbs:

Terry

My take on Monument Valley.

This was a beautiful sight as a few horses started galloping away and I was yelling to Guy "slow down", "STOP!!!! I want to take this shot!" A900 with 24-70 from a moving car on a very bumpy completely unpaved sandy "road"

Yes, I know everyone will say something about this shot being crooked, I think it's the land that is crooked....:D

Last night, as I was working through my shots, I started thinking about processing and how I was going to set up my ongoing combined C1/Lightroom workflow. I decided to try something different in my image processing and decided to wait a day and make sure I still thought the look was interesting. Here are three of a series of shots that I desaturated along with a few other tweaks. I think I like the look but I'm only on my little laptop so I may gasp in horror when I get back to SF and my 30" monitor tomorrow.

Terry

Steve,
I hadn't seen your Marble Canyon "balancing rock" scene before. That is great, very much the fun spirit of a getDPI workshops.

As I told you, I LOVE your Horseshoe Bend shot.....for those who don't know, on Wednesday when we got to Page and pulled into the parking , the thunder and lightening started and we all bailed out and went to check into the hotel and relax. However, after the rain let up and the sun came back out, Steve decided to go back. Man did he make the right choice - great capture of the colors!!!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This was one of the best workshops I have ever attended!

Kudos to Guy and Doug!

First one is Antelope Canyon - at a quiet moment.

Second one Guy at work - hanging out at the cliff :)

Both P65+

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Well, your workshops are a very dangerous thing to attend as far as I can tell from the distance. Addiction might be the best description for the danger. ;) It is so evident how much fun you folks had, and not only that, but also a ton of nice results on top! :) Fantastic!! .... and all that without a cube. :D

Guy:
Great question . I did a quick test ISO 1600 at 2.8 for 2 minutes than we brought it into C1. From there we started to do the math . Add 4x for 5.6 than 4 x times on time since it was underexposed . Than we multiplied from ISO 1600 to 100 which is 5 stops more light needed. Figured out it went over a hour which is too long than backed off to ISO 200 at F4 to come up with about 35 minutes. The second one was at 4 am so I switched to a 45mm lens but knew the clouds rolled in and scattered more light so I went to 5.6 on that one. Also you want to shoot east or west on the earths axis
Thanks Guy! Ok, this is going to be longer as I really try to understand every bit of it.

Firstly, I assume the axis has importance because of the star trails. Right?

Ok, it helps me, if I type that down here step by step. Let's see whether I got it right.

add 4x for 5.6"
... The phase one with the 80mm goes like 2.8, 3.2, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and then 5.6... Looking at that I assume you added a factor for every two steps, which means the above reflects a half a stop each. Ok, I get that.

Then you say
than 4 x times on time since it was underexposed
But this I do not understand, how did you come to the x4? Was this a guestimate? If so how did you guestimate?

Than we multiplied from ISO 1600 to 100 which is 5 stops more light needed
ISO 100 -> 200 = 1 stop
ISO 200 -> 400 = 1 stop
ISO 400 -> 800 = 1 stop
ISO 800 ->1600 = 1

Ok, I get it.... 16, 8, 4, 2, 1 = x5

So you ended up with your original 120 sec exposure and according to the above multiplied this first by x5(for ISO 100) then by x4( for 5.6) and then by another x4 (for underexposure guestimate) which brings you to 9,600 seconds or 2 hours 40 minutes.

Then you divided that by 2 to come to from ISO 100 to ISO 200, which brings you to 4.800 seconds or 80 minutes.

Then you divided that by 2.5 to come from 5.6 to 4.0, which brings you to 1,920 seconds or 32 minutes.

Pheew :) I think I got it.

Ok, now the follow up questions.

The part I did not understand was your guestimate. Can you epxlain a little more about that?

Using this technique, and that is crucial for me to understand, I do not understand on what you focussed and how?

So that would be the way to approach such shots, find an intersting static object, shoot a test picture at a fixed setting at High ISO and wide open, then do the math and take the shot ideally aorund 30 minutes, because afterwards the same time is added in camera to subtract from the darkframe, which means 1 hour in total that you have to wait and leave the camera in it's position. ....Hold on...or do you? Can you move the camera after it took the shot, and while it is processing the dark frame? I would asume so.

Alternatively, and on a practical note, as I rarely have a laptop with me to do that, what external exposure meter could be used to determine the correct settings for such a task. Any recommendations?

Last question, is there a way to have the rocks being exposed so that you can see the textures and colors, but at the same time see the star trails. Would that be able to be achieved by HDR techniques? Doing one star trail shot whereby the Rock is nothing but a silouhette, and another where the sky is total blown out but the rock is exposed?

Thanks again Guy, and I appologise for the lengthy rant, but your answer was important and I wanted to make sure I really got it. I can only hope this is interesting enough for others here as well. But in any case, being the newbie here on the fora, I need to know if all that is too much in depth questions here, and rather not wanted for future posts, please let me know and I avoid such in depth stuff to be asked if this is too much hassle.

Best wishes
Georg

P.S. On a funny note, I just realise the most important tool for such shots. -Traffic diversion posts - :ROTFL:

I'd be pissed if after 28 minutes a car drives through the scene. :D

P.P.S Again, I realise I was not a workshop member and may be this is something you rather disucss in the closed workshop group, I would understand that. Then again, I will be a future workshop member.... by all means! :)

Last edited: