The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great GetDPI Northern Arizona Workshop

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One of the reasons we originally instituted the 900 pix default is when you post images larger than that, they begin to get easy to steal and print decently. As an example on our printing workshop, I had taken one of the participants larger images -- 1200 pixel I think -- off our site, upsized it carefully and printed it out to 11x14 -- and it looked very good!

So that advice remains -- if you're worried about image theft, I'd keep them at 900 pix max. If you don't care, and want to share bigger images, go ahead and attach up to 2000 pix wide or 1200 pix high -- anything wider or taller will get downsized to 2000 wide max, 1200 high max.

kuau

Workshop Member
Guy I forgot to mention I opened up your lake Powell pano image in PS at 100% all I can say is wow, amazing quality, it's crackling with energy. I highly recommend everyone take a look at it when you get the chance

Steven

thomas

Here is a diagram from my real world experience shooting this workshop with a P40+ on the Cambo Wide RS with a Schneider 35mm XL.
Doug, that's great - thanks a lot!
I assume the "poor" area is around 5mm; so you can use +/- 15mm shift to get good results... is that right?

beamon

This is a HDR 3 shots and just not sure I like it yet. Yes I was hanging off the cliff, don't tell my wife. Than again make sure my life policy is up to date. LOL
I like it, Guy. It's believable HDR. So much HDR that I see is way over saturated.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Roger exactly what I am trying to avoid is the over processed look. Not a big fan of it. I'm getting close with Jacks help on this one. Showing the one original raw file here of the 3 for the HDR. Big difference

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
I would dial down the saturation a touch, also, make sure that the reflection of sky is always darker than the sky you see reflected in it.
I think that the blue reflection to the back needs to be dialed down just a bit since it is reflecting sky at a higher angle than its tonal match which is at the horizon.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looks little better Bob. I knew something was bugging me. The hard part of this whole image is the lack of direct sun on the rocks and trying to make some.

kuau

Workshop Member
Actually I would love a print of this one. Anyway you can post it like you did the lake powell pano?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, that's great - thanks a lot!
I assume the "poor" area is around 5mm; so you can use +/- 15mm shift to get good results... is that right?
Of course as with any lens fall off it's not a matter of 4mm from the edge is unusable and 5.5mm from the edge is pristine.

But I think you're generally correct; +/-15mm would make the majority of my customers very happy.

That said, there is little reason (other than "purity") not to shoot +/-20mm and then crop to the section you're happy with. There is enough overlap for this with the P40+ (just barely; a 0mm shot might be advised) and plenty of overlap for this with the P65+.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

thomas

Of course as with any lens fall off it's not a matter of 4mm from the edge is unusable and 5.5mm from the edge is pristine.
sure...

+/-15mm would make the majority of my customers very happy.
so it's roughly +/- 7mm for the P65+. The 47XL therefore probably will become the standard wide lens for P65+ shooters if it holds sharpness at the edges a bit better (should do so) ... just a thought.

That said, there is little reason (other than "purity") not to shoot +/-20mm and then crop to the section you're happy with.
yes, that's what I basically do as well when stitiching (after composition on groundglass so that I know what I will get)... it's just faster and easier to work this way.

Thanks again!