The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flu bug

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi everyone well I just thought I should first apologize for being missing in action the last couple days . Truth be told the flu hit Arizona and i was standing right in it's path. It started Saturday and I don't think I lifted my head off the pillow till Monday morning. Than Tuesday morning I had a 8 am job to shoot . Okay I made a huge effort to get my ass in gear , got to the job set up my first shot with some lights and barely got through it. Than the second part of the job was to shoot at some workstations. Well after 32 years as a working pro it was the first time i had to say sorry I just can't go on and had to excuse myself to go home. My client was fine with it and not a issue. I told them I just would not do a good job in this condition they completely understood and sent my sorry butt home to rest. i will go back and make it up but i have to say this flu thing is nasty. I'm still really tired but I am getting over the hump. Please folks avoid this like the plague this was not fun at all. Hope to be back in full swing soon.

Terry

Sitting at the airport in Vegas and was going to write you an email and see how you were feeling. Mend quickly. My flight from Phoenix to Vegas was incredible with everyone hacking and sneezing. We all did doses of Airborne at dinner last night. Can't wait for my flight back to NY.....more Airborne when I get home.

The J803 is perfect. I even like it with ONE body because it leaves space for my wallet and cell phone(s). That is key to keeping within carry on limitations.

Again feel better!

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Wow, Hope you feel better. Sounds just like the thing some friends of mine picked up from Vegas the weekend before last. Laid 4 of the 5 of them out for the better part of a week!

Lisa

I'm amazed you were out of bed in a couple of days, even if you were really pushing it. The times I've had the flu, I didn't managed to get out of the hourse for about a week.

Rest up and get better soon!

Lisa

LJL

Guy,
Glad you are back amongst the somewhat living again. Yes, whatever this strain is, it does knock folks down a lot harder than they are used to. I caught it a couple weeks ago, and like you was totally knocked out for a couple days. I have never slept so much that I can recall. It then still took a good week to start coming back, tiring quickly, just as you describe. Only thing that really seems to work is sleep, sleep, sleep.

Hope you are past the worst, and avoid pushing too hard too early....relapses are even less fun.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks i am feeling better but man i am so freaking tired still. Can't believe how bad this one is. I lay down and good night Irene. Try like hell folks to avoid this one, it's killer on ya. Use airborne if your traveling or around anyone. My wife has been taking all kinds of stuff to avoid it from getting it from me.

Maggie O

Airborne won't do much against influenza. If y'all haven't had a flu shot, well, GO GET A FLU SHOT!!!!

Seriously. It's the only thing that helps with this virus. Washing your hands and using hand sanitizer helps more than Airborne, too.

Terry

Airborne won't do much against influenza. If y'all haven't had a flu shot, well, GO GET A FLU SHOT!!!!

Seriously. It's the only thing that helps with this virus. Washing your hands and using hand sanitizer helps more than Airborne, too.
Unfortunately this season the flu shot is not very effective against the flu strains that are going around quite a few people I know have had the flu shot and still took a knock out blow with this current flu bug going around.I read an article that said only about 40% of what is going around is covered by the shot down from about 70%.

Maggie O

Those risks are overstated at best and dubious at worst.

http://www.themediadesk.com/files/hg.htm

So... questions from the audience... How much Mercury are we talking about in the vaccine? How often do you get a flu shot, or any shot, with thimerosal in it? And over how many years will it take for those shots to equal .... say... the amount of mercury in a tuna salad submarine sandwich? And then, how much of it will it take to do anything to you? And finally, does mercury exposure cause Alzheimer's?

Long answers below- Short answers here: The mercury in one shot is almost too small to be measured. One shot, once a year, will most likely NOT increase your exposure in any significant amount. And there is no direct evidence that there is any causal relationship between mercury and Alzheimer's.

And now the long answers from the people that don't send out panic emails.

There's no evidence that influenza vaccine increases the risk of Alzheimer's disease. Inactivated influenza vaccine used in the United States may contain thimerosal, a preservative that contains a very small amount of mercury. There's no evidence that the mercury in thimerosal is harmful at these low levels.
Alzheimer's is a complex illness involving damage to and degeneration of the neurons within the brain. Its cause isn't fully understood. But it may be due to abnormal protein (amyloid) deposits and inflammation in the brain. It was once thought that aluminum contributed to this process. But most experts believe that there's no clear evidence to support this theory. Influenza vaccine doesn't contain aluminum.
www.walgreens.com
And then we have a statement from the resource page from the Center's for Disease Control.

Today, with the exception of some Influenza (flu) vaccines, none of the vaccines used in the U.S. to protect preschool children against 12 infectious diseases contain thimerosal as a preservative.