The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question for wedding photographers

fotografz

Marc

You really have this down...great shots and examples!

Re : M/R flash....just don t use it presently. I have a SF-24 but never use it. Just re read all the threads on flash for the M and concluded ..its the Sf-24 for TTL ,the larger Metz units some on TTL , a larger flash on "A" or go back to manual. What I am looking for is a flash with a small,low profile that I can use on the "A" for fill flash.

Re: Working aperture...my biggest frustration with the D3/D700..probably because I am not using them as much as my M s ...too many misses when I try to shoot wide open and use AF . Not sure if this is practice, technique or equipment..or maybe expectations.

Re: balance between ambient and flash...avoiding what is essentially a double exposure....I have more of problem with this when the ambient is fairly good and I let the shutter speed drop below 1/60.

Re: Dark reception hall....my experience exactly ....choice of dark backgrounds or using motion creatively to enhance the image. Better ISO performance helps here.

Thanks again for taking the time to post the examples.

Roger
RE: use of flash with the Leica M. Obviously most don't use flash, but I find it can be used effectively if used sparingly. I find this to be necessary with the M8 to keep the ISO at 640 or less which isn't always possible at a wedding.

I used a TTL SF20 on my M7's and now a SF24D on the M8s .... BUT always with a diffuser. The diffuser I always have used is the S-FILL that was designed by Lutz specifically for the Leica SF flashes ... which I am not sure are available anymore. Something to ask about on the Leica Forum perhaps?

One little secret I employ when using the non-tilting, non-rotating SF flashes while shooting in portrait mode is to always have the diffused flash on the darker side of the subject. So you determine where the ambient is primarily coming from and have the flash oriented to the opposite side.

The other thing is that the Ms really work well with off-camera lights using a tiny Microsync radio trigger. They do not have the distance capability of a Pocket Wizard, but more than the infrared type triggers.

I'm currently assembling a complete one man off-camera kit designed primarily for use with the Nikons, but will be adapting it for use with the M8s. It currently consists of 2 SB900s and a Nikon TTL Commander, 2 Quantum Turbo C with cords to connect the SB900s. 2 light stands, 2 43" Photogenic ribless white umbrellas (that can be converted to shoot through) as well as a gold umbrella and a smaller hair light umbrella, and for greater distance like at a reception three Pocket Wizards with screw-in Nikon cords from Paramount Cords. The Leicas can then be used with the Pocket Wizard in the hot shoe to fire the Nikon flashes ... but obviously no TTL ... so you need to set the flashes to Manual, or A with the sensor pointed outward and the head toward the umbrella and control them that way.

What is not clear yet is whether the new Leica SF58 will offer any kind of a remote TTL trigger like Canon and Nikon offer. If they do eventually offer it (which they should to be taken seriously), they could be used on the stands and triggered by a M8. IMO, Metz seriously lags in the wireless system arena ... or if they have it done a good job of keeping it a secret :rolleyes:

What made this kit a very compact system for transport is the Light Caddy recently made available ... which was designed by an old internet pal Robert Madina (another wedding shooter).

http://www.thelightcaddy.com/

Here is what the M8 looks like with the SFILL diffuser mounted. It doesn't work with the flash set to A because the diffuser reflects light back into the auto sensor on the front of the flash. So, it's strictly for TTL.

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
RE: use of flash with the Leica M. Obviously most don't use flash, but I find it can be used effectively if used sparingly. I find this to be necessary with the M8 to keep the ISO at 640 or less which isn't always possible at a wedding.

I used a TTL SF20 on my M7's and now a SF24D on the M8s .... BUT always with a diffuser. The diffuser I always have used is the S-FILL that was designed by Lutz specifically for the Leica SF flashes ... which I am not sure are available anymore. Something to ask about on the Leica Forum perhaps?

One little secret I employ when using the non-tilting, non-rotating SF flashes while shooting in portrait mode is to always have the diffused flash on the darker side of the subject. So you determine where the ambient is primarily coming from and have the flash oriented to the opposite side.

The other thing is that the Ms really work well with off-camera lights using a tiny Microsync radio trigger. They do not have the distance capability of a Pocket Wizard, but more than the infrared type triggers.

I'm currently assembling a complete one man off-camera kit designed primarily for use with the Nikons, but will be adapting it for use with the M8s. It currently consists of
2 SB900s and a Nikon TTL Commander, 2 stands, 2 43" Photogenic ribless white umbrellas (that can be converted to shoot through), and for greater distance like at a reception
three Pocket Wizards with cords from Paramount Cords. The Leicas can be used with the Pocket Wizard in the hot shoe to fire the Nikon flashes ... but obviously no TTL.

What is not clear yet is whether the new Leica SF58 will offer any kind of a remote TTL trigger like Canon and Nikon offer. If they do eventually offer it (which they should to be taken seriously), they could be used on the stands and triggered by a M8. IMO, Metz seriously lags in the wireless system arena ... or if they have it done a good job of keeping it a secret :rolleyes:

What made this kit a very compact system for transport is the Light Caddy recently made available ... which was designed by an old internet pal Robert Madina (another wedding shooter).

http://www.thelightcaddy.com/

Here is what the M8 looks like with the SFILL diffuser mounted. It doesn't work with the flash set to A because the diffuser reflects light back into the auto sensor on the front of the flash. So, it's strictly for TTL.
This is great advice... I have an SFILL(for the 24D) and will have the sf58 on monday.

I do think for weddings though that the Nikon CLS is a decent solution all around .

fotografz

This is great advice... I have an SFILL(for the 24D) and will have the sf58 on monday.

I do think for weddings though that the Nikon CLS is a decent solution all around .
Yep, it is excellent. The Commander is a little short on range, but until Pocket Wizard perfects and makes available their TTL radio system for Nikon we'll have to go with the Commander for now if we want TTL.

The thing you have to watch out for with the newer Canon, Sony and Nikon Flashes is the limiter they put in them to protect the flash from burning out (a problem I never experienced). At my last wedding my SB900 shut down on me for over 10 minutes ... even though I had upgraded the firmware that was supposed to fix that. BTW both my second shooter's 580EXs shut down on him. I will pay attention to the little thermometer in the SB900s LCD from now on :eek:

Hold on to that S-FILL. When Lutz handed off the business, I grabbed a few spares.

Do you know if they still make those? When did you get yours?

Please let me know what you think of the SF58 after you get it.

-Marc

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I got my s fill from what was Leica Goodies about 2 years ago.

I ve been warned about the heat cut out ......we will have 3 flash at our wedding...2 sb-900 s and a sb-600 and an sb-400 as back ups.

The sf-58 is a little over the top but the price was so good ..I decided better get one when I could. Will try it out next week .

R

rik

Hi
The SFILL, and all other Leicagoodies for that matter, is still available from Leicagoodies.com

Rik