The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Supposedly Missing Cartier-Bresson Photos Surface.

R

Ranger 9

And he used a Leica. Who knew?
Just about everybody, of course. But what the heck is the lens shown on it? Looks kinda like an S-mount 50/1.4 Nikkor (Olympic?) in a Cook & Perkins (or similar) adapter -- quelle shocker!

Incidentally, one of the things I learned to ask during my journalism career was, "Who is giving me this news lead, and why am I getting it now, as opposed to some other time?"

In the case of the Independent article, as I read it, it isn't happening now because of any specific recent "surfacing" incident -- but simply because Mme Francq has gotten irritated at an ongoing trend and decided to issue a statement about it.

I wonder, though, what effect her statement might have on the zillionaire collectors who seek out vintage photo prints for the joy of owning some material object that their fellow zillionaires don't have?

Will they be embarrassed and turn up their noses at any "suspicious" Cartier-Bresson prints they might be offered, out of respect for Mme Francq?

Or (and I think this is more likely) will they say to themselves, "Whoopee! A chance to acquire a unique rarity with a fascinating history" and start seeking them out?

In which case, might unscrupulous dealers start taking perfectly legitimate Cartier-Bresson prints and crumpling, soiling, and stomping on them, in hope of passing them off as finds from the forbidden hoard?

O

Oxide Blu

I remember when the French govt was selling Cartier Bresson prints for the equiv of $5 each. I thought about it, decided I would buy some later. One of the many regrets in my life. :(