The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Laptop budget of $600, suggestions?

routlaw

I am helping a friend choose a laptop who has a budget of $600. It will be used for work while traveling (mostly office style things) and some picture editing. Would welcome feedback of worthy products in this class as well as ones to steer clear of.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

routlaw

Are we speaking PC or Mac? Might make a big difference. What size screen?

Don
Well initially I was trying to talk her into a refurb mac or used one from mac of all trades, but the truth is there just is not much in this price range available. So we are now looking mostly at PC's, which she is more comfortable with anyway. Dell has some inspirons in this budget, but a few years ago we bought one for our daughter, turned out to be junk. I think she is hoping somewhere around 15" screen.

Thanks Don.

O

Oxide Blu

This is kind of a transition time for Windows. Win 7 will be released in Sept. It appears to be everything Vista was not -- including being stable. Many laptops running Win XP are expected to have hardware and possible driver problems making the change. XP cannot be upgraded to Win 7, it requires a total disk wipe and build up, all data and programs will be lost. Laptops running Vista will be a very simple upgrade, no lost data or lost programs.

Apple is also planning to unleash their Snow Kitty OS in Sept (my, what a coincidence :rolleyes: ). I have no idea how that will effect existing Apple laptops, but given Apple's history, probably won't be much of an issue at all, wouldn't expect any major problems like there will be with XP going to Win 7.

Due to govt contracts, MS is obligated to support XP for a few more years. The problem is new hardware & drivers between now and discontinuing support for XP may or may not be compatible with XP.

Sooooooo ... I would be looking at either Apple or a MS Vista OS on whatever laptop I got. I would stay away from Win XP machines, now.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I just read that WalMart is intending to be more competitive in the PeeCee market. A couple examples of Acer and HP laptops were cited, both under $600. Not sure when the push begins.

Scargos2

I say, that she needs to save up more money and then buy a Mac. She will sve money and head ackes in the lond run