The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photography, Art and Writing (a thinking thread)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a touch more work to this burned down and vignetted the corners and also more dodging on cat as needed than applied a simple gaussion blur to the background , Helped even a little more

Maggie O

Funny, aside from the great technical and nuts-and-bolts composition stuff that I'm learning here, I've also learned that I don't much care for that particular photo of Scooter!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Funny, aside from the great technical and nuts-and-bolts composition stuff that I'm learning here, I've also learned that I don't much care for that particular photo of Scooter!
Well, your original intent was to say that Scooter was not happy with the criticism that you received from a member of another forum. I think Scooter's ears tell it all for me. He isn't happy.;)

I like Guy's last rendition with the burned and slightly blurred background.

Maggie O

Well, your original intent was to say that Scooter was not happy with the criticism that you received from a member of another forum. I think Scooter's ears tell it all for me. He isn't happy.;)
True! (BTW, Scooter is a female.)

It did communicate what I wanted it to, so, as an illustration, I think it worked- the original crop, with Scooter centered, has more of a J'accuse! feel than the cropped version, which is a better portrait and stand-alone photograph. Heck, the unsettled background may even be more effective as an illustration, because it echoed my feelings of being peeved.

Sometimes, I know what I'm doing, even when I don't know what it is I'm doing!

I'm also glad I posted that particular photo, because it was a good launching pad for some excellent lessons and I am very grateful for that. As usual, it's our "mistakes" that provide the real fodder for learning and growth.

Maggie O

Well, unless you want to, shall we say, stick your nose right up to the drainpipe, it's pretty hard to sex a cat.

Guy Mancuso

I'm also glad I posted that particular photo, because it was a good launching pad for some excellent lessons and I am very grateful for that. As usual, it's our "mistakes" that provide the real fodder for learning and growth.
You just said the magic words and made our day. Thanks

M

Mitch Alland

One other point the Nocti can be downright freaking ugly with bokeh, it is a lens that needs a lot of care and the user watching what there backgrounds are doing. i have seen great bokeh with the Nocti but like Mitch says it is most ugly a lot of the times too.
Exactly, and the trouble with the Nocti-Nazis is that they don't seem to use their eyes but just think that everything it produces is beautiful. It can be a spectaculer lens but it has to be used carefully.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've found any of the Ultra fast 50's (Canon f/1.0 or f/0.95 or Nocti) can burn you very quickly if you don't watch it. At least I've not seen with the Nocti the spectacular flares the the Canon f/1.0 can inflect from unsuspected point sources of light.

LJL

Me either, John, but one does have to be more careful shooting toward light if you have a UV/IR filter on. I have had several nice shots "ruined" when the filter caused the flare problem for me. With a DSLR, one would have seen that in the composition, but with the rangefinder, you only see it later...unless you check the LCD a lot. THAT is another element to think about when shooting with filters on.

LJ

Maggie O

I'm not going to be posting or reading any of the forums here for a while. You know, maybe I do ask incredibly stupid questions and maybe in 39 years of shooting I haven't learned a damn thing and maybe my photos are hardly worth the time it takes to scroll past them, but I'm really feeling worn out and looked-down-upon here lately.

Message received- I'm a no-talent idiot. I just don't need to hear it anymore.

H

Haya

Maggie! I haven't read any message that says you have no talent!

I very much enjoy viewing your images and reading your posts I really hope you are not serious about not posting or reading the forums!

Guy Mancuso

I'm not going to be posting or reading any of the forums here for a while. You know, maybe I do ask incredibly stupid questions and maybe in 39 years of shooting I haven't learned a damn thing and maybe my photos are hardly worth the time it takes to scroll past them, but I'm really feeling worn out and looked-down-upon here lately.

Message received- I'm a no-talent idiot. I just don't need to hear it anymore.
Were did you get this . Not even remotely true. Sent a PM , please read. Trying to understand