Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Photography, Art and Writing (a thinking thread)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Photography, Art and Writing (a thinking thread)

I figured we could use a general art and philosophy of art thread.

I found a great quote and needed a good place to post it, so I made this thread. What's the quote? Here:

"The most useful criticism in any art is new work done with the same tools." (John Szarkowski)

I've found that much of my best work, in both photography and music, has come from reacting to the work of others. You?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Photography, Art and Writing (a thinking thread)

Reinvention... absolutely!

Cheers,

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All art is a reaction to past art even if past is only six months ago.

One of the areas which I think the vast majority of photographers lack is a strong grounding in art history, critical theory and aesthetic theory as they apply to both photography and art in general.

I find in my work many reflections of themes and techinques drawn for both photographers and artists.

I've found several work which have become important in my evolution of photography.

On Photography by Susan Sontag

Camera Lucida - Roland Barthes

Photography Theory
    - ed. James Elkins

Another Way of Telling by John Berger

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said, John.

IMO, every photographer should have a copy of Gardner's Art Through The Ages, the standard art history textbook.

Getting back to the quote, here's something to consider- the next time you find yourself about to write something about someone else's photography, stop yourself, pick up a camera and go make some photographs instead. You know, as an exercise or something.

Another great quote, this time from Woody Allen:

Talent is doing it every day.

Do you take or make photographs every day? I do. Most of them are C-R-A-P, but I'll be damned if I don't learn a little something each time. Also, being tied down to my house most days, it forces me to look at the familiar and to draw out interest from the mundane- I can't fall back of the inherent allure of the novel and exotic. I'm not saying that my daily photos are worth anything to anyone else, but they've come to be worth more to me than I might have initially thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the theme of reacting to the work of others was my reaction to Wim Wender's "Written in the West." It presented me with a new way of looking Texas's building and put me on a new path for depicting Texas. Photographs from "Written in the West."

Others artists I'm constantly reacting to are Monet and Van Gogh. Light, Light.....

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've changed my mind. My photos are rubbish. That's what I think. I should give my M8 to a real artist, like Cam, who could make it sing, instead of being a glorified Instamatic.

I guess that's the downside of doing it everyday. You quickly come to understand just how crap you can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, but if you have enough belief in what you saw or thought you saw when you first captured the image, it may be worth going back to and reviewing it through a different set of appreciation lenses ;-) I find myself going back to those "crap" shots that I have not completely discarded, and sometimes finding a new crop, a new enhancement, etc., can turn things interesting again.

Going along with what you and John have commented on, I would add that if you have looked at a lot of different art and had some appreciation for it, whether you fully understood it or not, it has equipped you to become more experimental in photography....you just need to develop some trust in your "eye" and why you may have or are pressing the shutter.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Magpie
    I admire your WORK
    You have a keen eye,good sense of color (even in Blk & White)
    and your PICTURES Tell a Story
    Your Gifted babe......
    Maybe having a bi polar moment!
    Though it would be nice to give Cam the M8
    Cheers! helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 9th March 2008 at 13:01.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Helen!

I think that more than anything else, I'm feeling frustrated and feel like I've exhausted my immediate surroundings as a subject. Maybe that's the hazard of taking photos everyday? Or maybe I'm looking for a "voice" or a "vision" in my work? One of the things I admire about Mitch (who comes most immediately to mind since there's been an in-depth discussion of his work in another thread) is that he has found his "voice" in his work.

Lately, I feel like I'm just thrashing around, without focus (or maybe I'm just backfocusing a bit) and my practice has become an empty set of motions to go through. I'm not real clear on this yet, but it reminds me of a pianist I knew in art school who quit playing music because he could make his fingers go where they needed to be but his spirit couldn't follow. I think he's a filmmaker now.

I'm trying to make sense, thanks for bearing with me.

Oh, and if I had the money, I'd buy everyone an M8, starting with Cam, because she wants one and would she would TOTALLY rock it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Thank you, Helen!

I think that more than anything else, I'm feeling frustrated and feel like I've exhausted my immediate surroundings as a subject. Maybe that's the hazard of taking photos everyday? Or maybe I'm looking for a "voice" or a "vision" in my work? One of the things I admire about Mitch (who comes most immediately to mind since there's been an in-depth discussion of his work in another thread) is that he has found his "voice" in his work.

Lately, I feel like I'm just thrashing around, without focus (or maybe I'm just backfocusing a bit) and my practice has become an empty set of motions to go through. I'm not real clear on this yet, but it reminds me of a pianist I knew in art school who quit playing music because he could make his fingers go where they needed to be but his spirit couldn't follow. I think he's a filmmaker now.

Oh, and if I had the money, I'd buy everyone an M8, starting with Cam, because she wants one and would she would TOTALLY rock it.
    So, why not think up a topic each day that you go out and shoot and execute on that. It could be a color, number, reflections, one day it was pouring in NY and I took pictures of people with their umbrellas to see if the person and the umbrella (pattern/color) seemed to match their personality/look. The number of different themes you can find is limitless and it can be a lot of fun.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that's a lot easier to do in New York City or San Francisco than it is in Lincoln, NE.

Have I mentioned I hate it here?

But yeah, that is an excellent idea.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, I have a book that talks about exploring an object and taking different shots of it with different angles shadows etc. In this exercise you are to take more than 100 shots. They have 150 shots of a fork and it is really quite a cool series.

Mitch Alland

...I think that more than anything else, I'm feeling frustrated and feel like I've exhausted my immediate surroundings as a subject. Maybe that's the hazard of taking photos everyday? Or maybe I'm looking for a "voice" or a "vision" in my work? One of the things I admire about Mitch (who comes most immediately to mind since there's been an in-depth discussion of his work in another thread) is that he has found his "voice" in his work.

Maggie, Imants Krumins, who's a great artist that unfortunately got himself banned here, said that taking good pictures in Bangkok is like shooting fish in a barrel. Of course he has a point in that places that have a denseness of life and variety of visual impact like Bangkok and Tokyo help to create a type of photography. In Japan, there are scads of "Tokyo photographers" that are bound to be there in a city of 30 million people where there is such a variety of life. Take Bangkok versus Singapore: to me it's just easier to find visually interesting subjects here than in Singapore, where, for example, the old Chinese shophouses, where people live on the second floor, have been gentrified and preserved as tourist reserves — no tropical squalor there. So, any vibrant city tends to create it's own photography.

But, it seems to me, that is not all there is to it. In Paris last year I saw the great retrospective Lee Friedlander exhibiton: what struck me were his shots of famous scenes in the US West, all of which had been photographed by Anselm Adams — it was amazing to me how Friedlander's compositons in these photographs were so much more complex and interesting than those of Adams, which goes to show that even with a type photography that one thinks may have been done to death, a new approach and a new interpretation can be found. And some of Firedlander's books can be a good antidote to the malaise you're referring to Maggie: when he had a knee operation a few years back and was housebound for some six months he produced Stems, a book of B&W photographs of flower stems seen through vases and glass shot of the flower vases his wife placed in his room; his book on the Sonora desert, which has pictures of branches and twigs, all seemingly similar, but which as you go from page to page, become a "where's Waldo" hunt in which you begin to see the varied compositional forms of each pictures; or Stick and Stone, his book on urban America seen through the unpromising visual garbage — traffic signs and chainlink fences — that litter the cities but which he reveals in a fascinating way as a major element of the landscape that we always look past and don't see for its own type of beauty. Yes, looking at these Friedlander books can get you out of your funk. Have a go at it.

Yes, Cam, whom I had lunch with in Paris, is great; but I doubt that she really needs the M8, as she has enough ideas to wear out her GRD and GRD2!

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, that's a lot easier to do in New York City or San Francisco than it is in Lincoln, NE.

Have I mentioned I hate it here?

But yeah, that is an excellent idea.
    Come on Maggie, there's just as much to photograph Lincoln and it's just as easy as NYC or SF.

There are images every where and there are people everywhere. I'm in a town of 3500 people in Central Texas and don't lack for subjects.

Take a look here
    all most all in a 100 mile radius of my house and many in six blocks.

It's as Lisette Model said, "New images surround us everywhere. They are invisible only because of sterile routine convention and fear."

Get out shoot, make mistakes, make beauty...

Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie
    How bout if you start a new thread with a daily photo of
    'All I HATE IN LINCOLN NEBRASKA'

The Camera is the Greatest Tool of an Anthropologist besides a Tape Recorder
    and knowing your keen eye & composition skill you can turn it into Art.
    All the Best ! helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie, have i asked you to marry me recently???

your pictures are lovely and expressive! i have even more respect than ever after being cooped up in the house with my family for two weeks and going mad with the limited subject matter. two weeks and i was tearing my hair out. yet you live with this and are making art with it. every day a masterpiece? maybe not. but you're able to capture the moment, the feelings, the thoughts in such an intimate way. i feel i know your family intimately.... there are so many gems in there! i think you're just too close to see it right now. it's hard to be objective when you're on top of your subject matter, i know. but you're good. you're really really good!!!

and Mitch is right, i'm still playing out my GRDs and have a long way to go. you did make me teary with your sentiment, though (i'm hormonal, but still...), thank you! that M8 deserves to stay in your capable hands! some place as vast as Nebraska needs it. and you'll feel better come spring!

i plan on doing an exercise myself that would probably suit your temperament as well: put music that you love on your ipod and go out and shoot. the two variations of this exercise are to either put one song on repeat and play it until you get a photo that sums up that song for you and satisfies you and/or put multiple songs on and try to get a few shots per song.

i think you, like me right now, are thinking too much. you need to turn off the brain and go with your gut and heart and eye. there's nothing that can do this like music! (none of your own is allowed as that will switch your brain back on. go with all time favourites or stuff that just suits your mood. if you've got the blues right now, play blues, and shoot blues. embrace it. embrace yourself. you'll come around again to knowing how good you really are.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll go to bed soooon .... but had to tell you DEAR MAGGIE
    your m8 shots of your Mum & Niece /ala potato chips scenerio was BRILLIANT!!
    Your a Concept Girl and maybe that where your niche is
    'Every Picture Tells A Story'
    toodles - helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the great responses- I'll need a bit of time to chew on them to properly respond- but there's a ton of great ideas and encouragement in this thread and I am very, very grateful to y'all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie,
    I agree with Cam, Mitch, Helen, Johnathan. I love your work. The gloves and the potato chip series come to mind right now. I think Cam has an excellent idea for a music diva; maybe you can tailor that to your style.
    I remember when you were getting ready to buy your M8 and how excited you were. I hope that you can recapture that excitement again.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

And some of Firedlander's books can be a good antidote to the malaise you're referring to Maggie: when he had a knee operation a few years back and was housebound for some six months he produced Stems, a book of B&W photographs of flower stems seen through vases and glass shot of the flower vases his wife placed in his room; his book on the Sonora desert, which has pictures of branches and twigs, all seemingly similar, but which as you go from page to page, become a "where's Waldo" hunt in which you begin to see the varied compositional forms of each pictures; or Stick and Stone, his book on urban America seen through the unpromising visual garbage — traffic signs and chainlink fences — that litter the cities but which he reveals in a fascinating way as a major element of the landscape that we always look past and don't see for its own type of beauty. Yes, looking at these Friedlander books can get you out of your funk. Have a go at it.
    Tomorrow, I'm gabbing my M8 and heading to the library to do just that, Mitch. That's a fantastic idea. And I think your choice of malaise is a spot-on description.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Maggie,
    I agree with Cam, Mitch, Helen, Johnathan. I love your work. The gloves and the potato chip series come to mind right now. I think Cam has an excellent idea for a music diva; maybe you can tailor that to your style.
    I remember when you were getting ready to buy your M8 and how excited you were. I hope that you can recapture that excitement again.
    Thank you, Cindy!

I'm going to try the music idea sometime this week. The weather is finally getting nicer here and mixing things up sounds like just the ticket.

You know, y'all are as generous and open-hearted as y'all are talented!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie,
    Y'all are very talented in so many ways. You add a little spice to this forum! No one wants to see you discouraged. By sharing your problem, the ensuing dialog gave everyone some new ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've changed my mind. My photos are rubbish. That's what I think. I should give my M8 to a real artist, like Cam, who could make it sing, instead of being a glorified Instamatic.

I guess that's the downside of doing it everyday. You quickly come to understand just how crap you can be.
    Frankly, this is the rant -- or should I say chant -- of every true artist. A struggle for perfection in our own eyes, while trying to communicate through imagery what it is we are seeing, thinking and feeling. IMO this is nothing more than "proof" you are a discriminating artist...

When this same mood strikes me I find a change is good. But the change I make is usually one of subject matter, not medium. Maybe you should do a series on musical instruments? You have some awesome guitars laying around and I can think of a few cool set-ups showing them in moody side-lighting with a glass of wine...

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

poboxnyc

Re: Doing it Everyday. Read an interview with Harry Callahan years ago when he was in his 35mm period late in life. Interviewer asked him how many good images he was looking for after a years work. His answer about 4 or 5 (or something like that). Here is a great artist working everyday (in 35mm nonetheless) and his goal was 4 or 5 photos that met his expectation.

One of my favorite writers, John Updike said it was important to write POORLY. You could only get to the good stuff by writing the bad stuff.

Photography like any other art form is a process of discovery-- messy, unpredicatible, discouraging, depressing and often downright suicidal. Doing it every day quickly raises the bar of our expectations as we get bored and don't want to repeat ourselves. There is nothing worse than doing safe terrific photos that everybody loves day after day--it means were not pushing the envelope and not growing in our craft. This whole thing is a journey with no end point and definitely no results.

The fact that you think your photos are rubbish is a great thing-- it shows how much you value the craft and how high your standards are. It also means you're working to get to the next level and will get there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

I'm going to give all the ideas here a shot, so by ghod, even if I'm still making crap, it'll be fresh crap!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to give all the ideas here a shot, so by ghod, even if I'm still making crap, it'll be fresh crap!!
    silly bunny! if you truly want fresh crap, i suggest hopping on a plane and joining me on the streets of paris. there's nothing like a good pissing down to bring out the freshest and the ripest...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam, if I could afford it, I'd freakin' live in Paris! (Or at least move back to San Francisco.)

Speaking of Lee Freidlander and SF, the show Mitch mentioned is at SFMOMA until the end of May. I have begun my machinations to get out there and see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of Lee Freidlander and SF, the show Mitch mentioned is at SFMOMA until the end of May. I have begun my machinations to get out there and see it.
    if BF finally makes a decision on his holiday (some time in May), part of it may have an SF/LA leg. if so, i'll definitely let you know so we can fart around and make new crap together.

sounds romantic, don't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My photos are rubbish.
    Look here Maggie: my pix are the crappiest - that's why you never see any. OK?
    Sláinte

Robert.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maggie sounds like a workshop is in order. Shameless pitch
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam, if I could afford it, I'd freakin' live in Paris! (Or at least move back to San Francisco.)

Went and saw it last week. Literally 4 rooms filled with Lee's work! I understand they cut about 100 images OUT of the total show due to wall space constraints. Anyway, very good show.

Also have some classic work up, Weston et al, AND a pretty good sized show of An My-Le's work!

Definitely worth a look

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Maggie sounds like a workshop is in order. Shameless pitch
    You guys are worse than the popups!
    Sláinte

Robert.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Went and saw it last week. Literally 4 rooms filled with Lee's work! I understand they cut about 100 images OUT of the total show due to wall space constraints. Anyway, very good show.

Also have some classic work up, Weston et al, AND a pretty good sized show of An My-Le's work!

Definitely worth a look

SWEET!!!

Shame that SFMOMA didn't have enough space for it all, though.

That'll make two shows of photographers named Lee in a year- I saw the fantastic Lee Miller show at the V&A in London this fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get in that fast, new car of yours Maggie, and head here! I saw the show today (and took this pic). Wow. What a treat.

Tim

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, the critics can be harsh! From another forum I frequent:

Judging from your posts, you're articulate and a not half bad photographer (not saying you're professional-level good or anything - you've still got a long, long ways to go in that arena). OK, honestly, you're not a particularly good photographer. Sorry. Just my opinion.

Of course I'm judging your photography skills mostly by the photos you post here of your cats.
    Ouch. Of course, he's talking about a thread where people post photo of pets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Your camera is the best critic there is. Critics never see as much as the camera does. It is more perceptive than the human eye. "
    Douglas Sirk

Mike Johnston

Mitch Alland

Maggie, that's not a critic; that's a twit! Criticism involves analyzing many aspects of a photograph and evaluating them. And I don't mind if a good critique reaches negative conclusions about any of my photographs because one can learn from that type of criticism, whether one agrees with it or not. The best critique I've ever seen of one of my pictures is post #52 by Steve Kessel in the following LUF thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...-reid-s-3.html

Granted that this analysis is all positive, but I'm sure if the writer had some negative things to say it would be interesting as well. Actually, candid ciriticism can be invaluable, and the problem on most reactions one gets online is that they are either one-liners or designed to be morale boosters, which are not useful. BTW, the photo critiqued in the thread above is the following one, one of my favourites:

Tokyo: Tsukiji Fish Market | GRD at ISO 800

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Last edited by Mitch Alland; 14th March 2008 at 19:34.

Mitch Alland

John, I don't agree at all with your Douglas Sirk quote, which I find false, if not inane. Good criticism is invaluable: for example, read AD Coleman on photography.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Such a quote is not bedrock truth but rather a starting point for reflection and oftent needs to be looked at in larger context. SIrk during his major working period in Holly wood was savaged by the critics only now to have come back in great favor. It was to point out to Maggie not to take any critic too seriously.

Mike Johnston

Mitch Alland

Agreed, John. Good clarification. I at war with one-liners. <g>

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone else besides me here more inclined to agree with negative assessments of their output? (Though the voice saying "I'm a damn fine photographer, you idjit!" is louder than the agreement with the guy this time.)

I have to say that the thing I hate most about my photography is my obsessive pet snapping. But then, I shoot what I can shoot.

Mitch Alland

Maggie, a French photojournalist friend total me that in France more photography books on cats are published than on any other subjects, but, then, at the time he was editing a book called Tous les matins du monde, which showed morning in countries around the globe, a subject with no less kitsch than cats. Hey I got that word in again!

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is anyone else besides me here more inclined to agree with negative assessments of their output? (Though the voice saying "I'm a damn fine photographer, you idjit!" is louder than the agreement with the guy this time.)

I have to say that the thing I hate most about my photography is my obsessive pet snapping. But then, I shoot what I can shoot.
    Hey, Maggie pet snapping is easier to explain than my shooting Roadkills.

When I get negative assessments I assume, I must be doing some thing good because it at least got their attention. I would rather have 10 people call some thing terrible than a 100 call it pretty. Terrible I might learn from but pretty is incurable. I was once told the worst thing to tell an artist is , "You have good technique."

Mike Johnston

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    Hey, Maggie pet snapping is easier to explain than my shooting Roadkills...
    There you go again, John, taking nothing but pretty pictures of pretty things!

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mitch,

Some day we need to meet in Paris and I'll buy you a round.

Mike Johnston

Mitch Alland

Below your avatar it's says "Dublin, Texas", not "Paris, Texas"! Seriously, where are you? I'll be in Paris from mid-April for a few weeks.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some damn fine photos, John.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the most amusing thing about that guy's comments were they eventually turned into "give up this stupid photography thing and go back to your 'day job' as a musician."

I've made more money as a photographer than I have as a musician.

Man, this has been a head-spinning couple of weeks. (for all sorts of reasons, not all related to photography)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Below your avatar it's says "Dublin, Texas", not "Paris, Texas"! Seriously, where are you? I'll be in Paris from mid-April for a few weeks.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    I'm in Dublin,Texas but I used to get to France every few years. Love Paris and love the south even more. I was last there in 1999 to attend Camerone in Aubagne with the Legion. Then the dot coms went bust 2000 and I went back to academia. I got an invite from them to it due to book I've been researching for 20 years on Augustus Carl Buchel. I will unfortunately be in Texas in mid-April and see no travel in the near future due to my wife's health.

Mike Johnston