The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

Y Sol

Here are two shots I made in a hotel on Mauritius.
Both with the CF Planar 100mm, D3x and a Mirex adapter.

Last edited:

Owen_Coors

Zeiss on a budget

Here's my only Zeiss, at the moment:

Made in Kiev, Ukraine, in 1952 with the machinery and technicians brought back by train from Dresden. This Jupiter-3 1.5/50 utilizes German glass for it's lens elements, which was exhausted in 1955. I've owned a later 1957 version, made with Soviet glass, but I used that with film, 10 yrs. ago, so can't really compare them... though I really doubt that there is much, if any, difference between the two types.

carstenw

Wow, interesting lens. That's quite the swirly boke in the first shot, and strong Nisen-Boke in the second shot (double-line boke). Neat.

Owen_Coors

Yes, not everyone's cup of tea, I know, but it blows my own hair back (what little I have left.) I'm certain that the Zeiss Sonnar C 1.5/50 ZM is much nicer, at least in flare resistence. I have a hood but don't use it, because in testing it only seemed to help when shooting wide open with strong light from the side... and I hate using hoods, too. I also owned a 1938 Zeiss Sonnar 1.5/50 in Contax RF, at one time.
Here's one more shot from this 1.5/50 and GF2 combination. Shot at iso640, which is actually iso950, and it's the highest iso setting that I use with the GF2, just over 8-stops DR. ISO800 drops to 7.83-stops (all according to DXOMark.):

carstenw

This lens seems to have a nice, gentle classical rendering, which I guess is not surprising. How did you find out about it?

Owen_Coors

I was using interchangeable lens rangefinder camera's when I discovered the Soviet lenses on the internet in 1999. I bought a black 1984 Jupiter 9 in Contax RF mount, in '99, from a seller in China. I sent him $75 of US currency, in cash, and a few weeks later received the lens. It turned out to be one of my favourite lenses ever. I also purchased my first slr in 1999, an Olympus Pen F (half frame.) At the time I didn't know anything about lens registrations, but holding the lens, set to infinity focus, in front of that Pen F body, I saw that it was possible to make an adapter to couple the two together and I did so. The infinity focus, at f2 aperture opening, was calibrated to exactly .75 mile, because that's how far away the radio tower was that I used to calibrate with. Unfortunately the effective resolution of the lens, which wasn't so stellar even on 35mm/24mmx36mm/full frame, was greatly diminished with the half frame format. I soon lost interest in the Pen F and picked up a Nikon FTn and soon after sold all of my gear to concentrate on learning everything that I could with the Nikon slr gear. Sometime in 2001 I realized that photography had really lost it's thrill and after evaluating I purchased some more rangefinder cameras, this time in Leica screw mount. This is when I purchased my first Jupiter 3 lens.

carstenw

Four 50 MP shots. I visited Spreepark in Berlin with a forum-friend. It was meant to be open to the public, according to an article from the 28th of May, but they had changed the rules again, and it was closed, except for guided tours. After some convincing, we managed to gets permission to go in for an hour, for 20 Euro. Possibly the fact that we are both 40-something years old and clearly carried serious photo equipment had something to do with them letting us in.

The first four shots are all water-based, horizontal aspect, weirdo shots :)

carstenw

Here is another from Tiergarten, ZF 85/1.4 @ f/8. Too bad it is so small, at 1500x1000 it looks much better. Maybe one day we can have a survey about preferred image sizes.