The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

carstenw

This shot is much messier than my usual stuff, but there is something about it I like anyway. 100MP@f/3.3, 9 shots:

ZoranC

Is anybody aware of how Contax G 45/2 and ZM 50/2 Planar stack up one against the other, especially on NEX?

carstenw

The Contax G lenses are generally very sharp, but with mediocre boke, as far as I know. If you don't get an answer here, there are some very active threads on fredmiranda in the Alternative forum there.

Brian S

1935 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, converted to Leica thread mount, on the Leica M9.

1936 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar, wide-open, converted to Leica thread mount, on the Leica M8.

1938 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 Sonnar "T" wide-open, converted to Leica thread mount, on the Leica M9.

This is one of the first coated lenses. Formerly Contax mount, now Leica mount.

carstenw

Interesting lens, very sharp in the middle, with pretty funky boke near the edges :) How did you convert it, or is it just an adapter?

Brian S

Interesting lens, very sharp in the middle, with pretty funky boke near the edges :) How did you convert it, or is it just an adapter?
I used a focus Mount from a Russian Jupiter-3. I documented the process here:

http://www.ziforums.com/showthread.php?t=93

Lens in Cotax Mount:

The optics module unscrews after taking out 1 set screw.

The threads are identical to the Russian J-3. You need to set the shim, and then re-index the aperture ring to line it back up. Of course cleaning up 75 years of grease and grime is also suggested.

Brian S

I picked up another Sonnar this week, and was very surprised to find it had coated optics. It had never been opened, so the coatings are original. Not marked with a "T", and 3 years older than the one shown above.

Still in Contax mount, "SN190xxxx" block, wide-open on the Olympus EP2, using an adapter. Wide-Open at F1.5.

100% center crop:

Not bad for a 75-year old at F1.5...

I will be converting this one to Leica mount as well.

Some more pictures of the conversion process are here:
http://www.ziforums.com/album.php?albumid=195&page=2

Last edited:

monza

The vintage Contax 50/1.5 is one of my favorite lenses. I have an Opton from the 50s. Although I rarely shoot it at f/1.5 as it is flarey; at f/2.0 the contrast goes way up. Stopped down, it is amazingly sharp.

Brian S

The Post War Zeiss Sonnars are different optical formula and construction from the pre-war and wartime lenses And- there are two varieties, the Zeiss Opton and Carl Jena with SN above 3million.

This is with a Zeiss Opton 50/1.5 on a custom-shimmed Nikon S2.

Wide open.

monza

I tried the Kipon adapter for NEX and the focusing ring is fairly close to the camera body. Some may find this problematic, but it probably can be learned...the G lenses focus to 0.5m which is an advantage over the ZM.

carstenw

Some early shots with my new old ZF.2 28.2. I am very happy with this lens. It is sharp, and although it has the occasional muddy corner, it is generally very well behaved. It has some unruly boke, but more often, it is quite pleasing. It has just a bit more angle than a 35mm, which makes it, for me, more useful (although I will likely end up with the 35/1.4 as well at some point). The CA is much better controlled than I expected, no worse than my 100MP, for example. All wide open. The last shot has an astounding amount of detail, even zoomed in to 100%.

Brian S

1937 uncoated Carl Zeiss jena 5cm F1.5, wide-open on the M8.

Modern C-Sonnar 50/1.5, wide-open on the M8.

Zeiss captured the look and feel of an 80 year old design.