The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lens Photos and Discussion

benroy

Subscriber Member
Zeiss/Contax 135/2.8 Sonnar w/EOS adapter...very underrated, but quite sharp and easy to handle...becomes a 180 on the 40D.

Last edited:

Ron Pfister

@Michiel and Roy: that C/Y 100/2 Planar looks excellent, indeed! I've been pondering the ZF.2/ZE Makro-Planar 100/2 for a good while now, and I just looked around for prices of the C/Y 100/2. It seems the C/Y is fetching almost USD 1'000, and from there it's not that far to the price of the Makro-Planar (if you can get a good deal). Have any of you shot with both? If so, how do they compare?

benroy

Subscriber Member
Ron: 100 Makro-Planar ZF focuses, obviously, closer than the 100/2 Planar CY...sharpness is about the same, however....superlative. ZF Makro-Planar (new) goes for around $1800 last time I looked...nearly double the cost and convenience of the 100/2 Planar CY which has to be manually stopped down.
Both are wonderful lenses.

Roy Benson

BTW: I hate to bring this up...but...the 100/3.5 and 135/2.8 CYs would also provide a pleasurable experience...and very inexpensive.

Ron Pfister

Are any of you using the C/Y Sonnar 2.8/135 or the 2.8/85 with the D800/E? If so, I'd be very curious to hear how they're holding up.

TIA,

Ron

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
A snap of my wife with the ZF.2 18...

Another of Times Square in NYC.

Kind of the perfect subject for the Zeiss rendering style...

scho

Are any of you using the C/Y Sonnar 2.8/135 or the 2.8/85 with the D800/E? If so, I'd be very curious to hear how they're holding up.

TIA,

Ron
+1. I would be interested in reports on performance of Contax C/Y lenses on either the D800e or Leica M. I tried using a Contax 28mm f/2.8 C/Y on a Leica M-E, but of course no RF coupling so I had to scale focus (with some assistance from my iPhone Rangefinder). Sample image below shot on the Leica M-E with Contax 28mm f/2.8 @ f/8.

Ron Pfister

Carl, I have managed to find a nice copy of the Sonnar 2.8/85 C/Y MM since my previous post. I've done the Leitax conversion and based on my limited shooting so far, the lens performs very well on the D800E. Contrast is very good, and image detail at f/5.6 is outstanding in the center and only marginally less so in the corners.

HTH,

Ron