The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Boke Panoramas - large format with small cameras

gerald.d

Another test today.

Obviously I need to sort out the vignetting on this, but I'm still very much operating in "proof of concept" mode.

144 shots (24 columns by 6 rows) with the Mamiya 300mm f/2.8 on Phase One AF with IQ180. Full render is 5.7 gigapixels. Printed at 300 ppi, it would be 36 feet wide. You don't get anything like the full effect of this technique when you resize down to a small jpeg.

Here's the full frame:

Tree is around 60 feet away. Depth of field roughly 3 feet.

A couple of crops from a 10% sized render so you can get a better handle on the true depth of field:

This is what the stack of bricks to the right of the tree look like at the same size:

Zoomable version (requires Flash):

http://dxbae.com/panos/treepoc/build.html

Last edited:

Pierrard

If you figure out the vignetting problem, post it here! I've run into it once or twice myself, but not to that degree.

BTW: how do you edit something of that size? Reduce the image to a fraction of its size, do layer adjustments, and resize?

gerald.d

Vignetting largely (but not totally) sorted -

View attachment 59519

Full resolution image is being uploaded now. I'll link to it later.

Happy with how this has turned out. Now all I need to do is find some decent subject matter :)

(Not really any editing in this one - I wasn't aiming for a great image, just working through the mechanics of it all. My PC has 24GB of RAM and some fast scratch disks. The .psb file at full resolution is 34GB. Takes a while to load, but editable if desired.)

Hosermage

Very interesting... I've always wanted to try out the Brenizer Method. I don't have a tele lens for the M9, so I used the 50'Lux ASPH instead shooting a closer subject. Also, I've cheated on the software side because I used the Microsoft ICE software (Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)) to do the stitching for me:

BTW, 16 images resulted in a final 64 megapixel image.

Last edited:

gerald.d

Certainly not cheating to use software for the stitching. I use Kolor's Autopano Giga.

No way would I try to stitch 144 x 80 megapixel files manually!

Pierrard

@gerald.d: wow, the edited version does look much better! I wish I had your tech though - I'm running only 6GB RAM with Autopano Giga2, no scratch disk, and a 12MP DSLR. Can't wait to step up, but I am liking some of what comes out at least.

manouch shirzad

Workshop & Subscriber Member
Some pictures from last month in Central Park, Pana G1, Meyer-Optik 100mm Trioplan, f/2.8
________
Manouch

Stitch of 4 images

Stitch of 2 images

Stitch of 16 images, some cropping

ausemmao

Tried this out to see what a large sensor with D7000/D800 pixels would look like, and to see what the fuss with larger formats was about (can you tell I'm a noob? :D)

Shot with an 85mm 1.8. Full size is 120odd MP - effective sensor size around an iq180 stretched to 3:2, field of view is 32mm in 35 terms.

Making sure the shots are done around the nodal point seems to make stitching much easier - I'm curious to try out later on to see if there's a way to do this so that dynamic scenes can be captured.

Pierrard

looks great gerald!

I've really started liking this limited depth of field - a few nights ago I went down by a cemetery and noticed several deer wandering around the graves.

These were shot with a $5 junk-drawer manual 300/5.6, around f/11 on a Nikon D90:

9-images:

13-images:

20-images:

Nothing close to the size of some of the panoramas on this thread, but hopefully they're of some interest.