The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 180/2 vs. Nikon 200/2 VR

Photojazz

The little nikon 180 will surprise you with it's image quality, it's bokeh, mediocre comparatively speaking of course. Hard to argue with the Leica look, and the 180 must be a beautiful lens. I have the 200VR, it's a great lens for sports, any type of action, and you can get that great bokeh @ f2. To me, giving up the AF for this type lens is to much to ask. If you are only using the 200 on a tri-pod with manual focus, you are not using the lens to it's fullest potential anyway. I have moved away from big lenses, or am in the process of it, giving it up, but I am keeping the 200vr, takes a 1.4 tc really well, and gives me a 340 2.8 I think it is. Don't hold me to that, maybe it's 4.0. I forget.

I have a 300VR, and am considering trading it for a rare Noct lens, Crazy I guess, but it's what I am into, and I regret getting rid of my ground aspherical element nikon glass. i used to have the 28 1.4 and the 58 noct. just lovely glass. I may give up my 24 1.4 for another 28 1.4d as well. I just love the rendering of that glass.

topoxforddoc

No idea about the Nikon, but my Leica 180/2 is my favourite lens, bar none. It is my go to lens for gigs on my DMRs - Manual focus is fine on the 180, as the DMR VF is so bright.

Mel C with Jools Holland at Cornbury Festival, UK

Royal Ballet, Sadlers Wells, London, UK