The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor lenses

carstenw

Post your Nikkor lens shots here. I consider old Nikkor lenses alt, since they are used not only on Nikons, but also on Canons and other cameras. AF lenses are not really alt though, so I will limit my posts to AI, AI-S, etc.

I am not really supposed to post photos of my daughter, but this one should be okay…

You all know what I do on my Saturdays, you see the results here in this forum. This is what I do on my Sundays. Nikkor 35/2.8 AI @ f/4. That is one my monopods safeguarding the kite string, by the way :)

Brian S

Nikkor 5cm F1.4 "Tokyo", Leica Mount, on the Olympus EP2:

Wide-Open.

Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5, Leica Mount, Wide-Open on the Leica M9:

If the Nikkor is not marked in Cemtimeters, it can't be so old...

Brian S

The Nikkor 10.5cm F2.5 debuted in late 1953, came out in black finish. I have this lens in Nikon S-Mount, Contax RF Mount, Leica thread mount, and F-mount. The optics underwent a major redesign ~1972 or so.

carstenw

Nice rendering on that lens, put to good use. I can almost hear the breeze through those reeds in the last shot.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 'pancake' version

I found myself an AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - the latest version with short nose i.e. the nearly pancake flat version - produced 1985 - 2005

click for natural size

© • Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/125 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Surprisingly nice performance for such a small optic, Black & White with a bit of yellow toning ...

click for natural size

© • Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm 'pancake' • 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

One with AI-S Nikkor 28mm f/2.8

click for native size

Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.8/28mm • 1/320 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

mazor

Re: AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 'pancake' version

Nice find of the pancake lens, unfortunately it probably wont be pancake any more once you adapt it to E mount assuming it is a Nikon F mount right?

Mazor

I found myself an AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 - the latest version with short nose i.e. the nearly pancake flat version - produced 1985 - 2005

click for natural size

© • Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/125 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Surprisingly nice performance for such a small optic, Black & White with a bit of yellow toning ...

click for natural size

© • Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 1.8/50mm 'pancake' • 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

jsf

This is my Ai 55 micro. I like the old primes, I've had some of them since the 60's but I bought some old "newer" lenses when I went digital. Joe

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Beautiful fish shot, Joe :thumbup:

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

And to all of you: all the very best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Alternative Gear Year.

The old AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm has nice bokeh for portraits and similar subjects.

No willing model at hand, so you will have to do with this Christmas Bear :)

click for native sizes

All with Nikon D300 • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/50mm G • 1/3 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

☆ ☆ ☆

click for native size (5 Mb)

Nikon D800E • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/2 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3

Maggie O

Re: AI-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 'pancake' version

click for natural size

I used that lens on my F3 for years- it's fantastic. I slapped it on my BF's D600 the other night and it's still a winner:

Sleepy Boy, December 23, 2012 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

V

Vivek

Steen, I hope you forgive me. The 50mm you show was a favorite lens of mine a while ago because I could find many for cheap and use the helicoid to house various lenses. :eek:

Here is a sample with one such lens, an APO Rodagon 75/4.5

NEX-6, APO Rodagon 75/4.5, HVL-F20AM

The lens (complete with a "chip"):

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

The 100/2.8 E now houses an APO El Nikkor 105/5.6 lens. :eek:

bensonga

And to all of you: all the very best wishes for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Alternative Gear Year.

The old AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm has nice bokeh for portraits and similar subjects.

No willing model at hand, so you will have to do with this Christmas Bear :)
Amazing detail in the Christmas Bear image! I've always liked the 105/2.5 lens also. My AIS copy has a floppy lens hood problem, so I often use a screw in metal lens hood, but it is otherwise very nice.

Good to revive this thread re the old Nikkors.

Here's a shot I took with a non-AI 55mm micro Nikkor on my D2x.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Steen, I hope you forgive me. The 50mm you show was a favorite lens of mine a while ago because I could find many for cheap and use the helicoid to house various lenses. :eek:

Here is a sample with one such lens, an APO Rodagon 75/4.5 (...)

Sure, Vivek, one of the AI-S 1.8/50mm's virtues is that it is so dirt cheap that you can use it for whatever you want, like parts for experiments.
Still, it's also a decent performer in itself, see Maggie O's picture of the Sleepy Boy cat. Nice, Maggie :thumbup:
And then the AI-S 1.8/50mm also makes even an SLR or a DSLR rather compact.
Besides I enjoy getting good results out of cheap gear, it somehow adds to the fun in its own way, with imperfections and all :)
Where do you find all those exotic C lenses and enlarger lenses, looks like an interesting niche world of optics ?

☆ ☆ ☆

And here's a few from the 105/2.5, one of my all-time favorite lenses... (...)

Nice, Maggie, you are obviously very good at focusing this manual focus AI-S Nikkor lens, I simply love the smooth way it renders out of focus areas

☆ ☆ ☆

Amazing detail in the Christmas Bear image! I've always liked the 105/2.5 lens also. My AIS copy has a floppy lens hood problem, so I often use a screw in metal lens hood, but it is otherwise very nice.

Good to revive this thread re the old Nikkors.

Here's a shot I took with a non-AI 55mm micro Nikkor on my D2x.

Gary, that Micro Nikkor looks sparkling and tack sharp on the D2x CCD sensor, you can almost feel the texture

☆ ☆ ☆

Here's the short nosed AI-S 1.8/50mm on a DSLR, as compact as I need it (I have no pocket camera and no cell phone camera)

© • click for native size

Captured with Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/5 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Lightroom 4.3

V

Vivek

Hi Steen,

The APO Rodagon D 75/4.5 (shown) came after an APO Rodagon D 75/4 which I learned, many moons ago, was in the LF scanner I was using at work.

The APO El-Nikkor was bought from one of the two big camera shops in NY from their used inventory (again, many years ago).

Both the lenses have 39mm screw mount.

I am glad to see there is renewed interest in the small 50/1.8 for photography use.

I still have (at least) one 45/2.8 GN-Nikkor, a true pancake and a mechanical marvel.

PS: No disrespect to Maggie but I really do not like cat photos. Let me make that domestic cats.