The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photos of Alt gear

carstenw

Post photos of your alt gear! Anything non AF-Nikon or AF-Canon is sufficiently alt to qualify, but older or more alternative stuff is naturally more interesting :)

I will make photos of some of my stuff in the coming few days and kick this off, unless someone gets there first!

carstenw

Oooohh, yes, very nice. I love the shape of the F3. Wow, I forgot I wanted to do this thread :) I have to get cracking with my lighting setup.

Lars

My APO-Nikkor f/9 610 mm, next to a Sigma f/1.4 50 mm (which has a 77mm thread and in itself is huge for a 50).

The Nikkor is a process lens probably from the late 1960's, if I recall correctly it has a 500 mm image circle at infinity (which means 1000 mm at 1:1). In the end it was way too large and heavy (2 kgs) even for an 8x10" camera so it's a paperweight for now. It came in a large wooden box complete with waterhouse stops and signed certification papers from Nikon. It's supposed to be incredibly sharp especially at 1:1. Should be ideal for face+shoulders portraits on 20x24".

Lars

20x24"!!! Do you have such a camera?
Nope, they are a bit rare, I've never seen one in person. Some are used in portrait studios with Polaroid film, for an instant 50x60 cm high-quality portrait. I think Ebony Camera will make you one if you're willing to sell your house.

As a math exercise, with a 610 mm lens at 1:1, bellows draw and lens-to-subject distance would each be 1220 mm. 50x60 cm would frame head and shoulders nicely, but perhaps 1.2 meters is slightly too close for the ideal portrait perspective.

carstenw

Maybe a 16x20" camera would be a bit more manageable, and might give a little more reach to the lens? Is it still possible to get large format Polaroid film (or equivalent)? I thought it was all gone.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

F3HP with the Big Bowl

© - click for larger - in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

© • captured with Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/25 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

© • captured with Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/20 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

and a close-up

© - click for larger - in some browsers the F11 key maximizes and again minimizes <-> the web browser window

© • captured with Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.8/28mm • 1/5 sec. at f/11 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Yeah, the ZF 85mm looks a little out of proportions, and the exaggerated close-up was just meant to joke about that fact :)

On the other hand I actually think the F3 and the 1.4/50mm ZF suit each other pretty well (I have already shown this ‘portrait’ elsewhere).

©

click for larger

© • Captured with Nikon D300 • AI-S Nikkor 2.5/105mm • 1/60 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Haven't been here for a while. Some beautiful lenses and cameras. Steen, those Zeiss lenses really look nice on the F3.

Godfrey

I posted these elsewhere ... I think this is a pretty cool and serious industrial looking kit:

Ricoh GXR + A12 Camera Mount + Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 IF AI-S

I'm extending the bazooka even more with a Nikon TC-300 teleconverter soon.

:)