Site Sponsors

Thread: The "other" Nikkors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The "other" Nikkors

After my NEX-7 arrived, I put one of my old favorites, a Nikkor-O 55/1.2 (AKA CRT-Nikkor) in a focus helicoid to use. While a fast lens in this focal length range is just superfluous for actual shooting purposes, for my needs, this old timer is just nothing but full of pleasant surprises.

So, I thought I will start a thread on these to share some experiences. Everyone, needless to say, is welcome to share their thoughts/experiences/images. Any old Nikkor that was not originally designed as a photographic taking lens is welcome!

Out of madness, I have actually used this 55/1.2 on a Bessa-L, previously. Very limited area of a full frame is in focus in such cases. On an APS-C sensor, it seems to be brilliant (more info on 55/1.2 CRT Nikkor can be found on Akiyama's site). I will add some pics later.

The lens mounted on a Bessa-L:

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
    Last edited by Vivek; 3rd January 2012 at 07:08. Reason: Added a picture

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The "other" Nikkors

Normal photographic images from this lens, one would not find it anywhere. Here is a snap from an Ultramicronikkor 55/2.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

NEX-7, Ultramicronikkor 55/2 @ f/2.8

This was a wafer lens made for the semiconductor industry in the 1960s. I bought it after seeing an advert from a local camera shop in a camera magazine. At that time I had no clue what this was made for. I found Michio Akiyama's site through google and saw a picture of this lens. I requested him to translate the pages in English so that more could get to know about such lenses.

This would focus to infinity on a NEX-7 (and cover the whole frame) although it was made for a magnification of 1/5X (resolution >500 lp/mm in green light).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's interesting Vivek! The lens fits that Bessa very natural.
    And your son is in a good mood.

Michiel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Michiel!

The one on the Bessa L is a Nikkor-O 55/1.2 and the sample shot I show is from an Ultramicronikkor 55/2. Both are very different lenses.

I have way too many lenses.