The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 1.5 / 75mm does anybody have this lens?

haring

I love the Carl Zeiss BIOTAR 75mm f/1.5 lens. I am thinking about buying one of them but I can see that there is a huge range in price for this lens. They seem the same to me. I am just wondering whether anybody can tell me which series of these lens I should buy to get the best image quality and what makes the price to range so wide...

V

Vivek

Look for a sample that is in the best of conditions. They are all expensive nowadays. Coating damage to the front element is common but does not affect the performance as they are "aged" glass with natural coatings from exposure. Bubbles in the glass is also common from that era and is in fact taken as a sign of better glass.

The price is directly related to the description of the seller ("15 bladed aperture" "Bokeh King", blah and blah).

haring

Look for a sample that is in the best of conditions. They are all expensive nowadays. Coating damage to the front element is common but does not affect the performance as they are "aged" glass with natural coatings from exposure. Bubbles in the glass is also common from that era and is in fact taken as a sign of better glass.

The price is directly related to the description of the seller ("15 bladed aperture" "Bokeh King", blah and blah).
Thanks so much! :)

I wanted this lens so bad ten years ago. It was quite pricey than but the price is three to four times today than what it was back than. Now I often see it listed for 1000 Euro or even more. Therefore I see no great use in buying it today apart from being a eastern bloc lenses buff or collector. The bokeh is quite swirly. I don´t know about sharpness but doubt that it will be impressive unless stopped down. If you want awesome bokeh, better buy a Canon 85/1,2 or some fast Leica glass for that money. If you should want it nonetheless, I think the M42 version is both cheapest and easiest to adapt to modern DSLRs. There is also an Exakta version and a Contax version (the latter the most rarest I think).

V

Vivek

Therefore I see no great use in buying it today apart from being a eastern bloc lenses buff or collector.
Hardly that.

Key is the compactness. It is as simple as a lens can get. Sharpness is acceptable even wide open. Swirly bokeh is taken as a sign of its "character", just like many Leica lenses which are heavy and huge, in comparison. ;)

The closest alternative for Zeiss 75mm 1,5 is Helios 40-2 85mm 1.5, has a same image quality and slightly bether contrast. Bokeh is the same ( King of bokeh)
Helios 40-2 new one is $500.