The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Problems with Arca Cube at 30 below zero F?

Just wondering if anyone has had problems using a Cube head at low temps below zero F? I've used mine at zero just fine, but wondering if the gears still do well in colder temps, or if they had sticking problems or ? Thanks…Joe

Don Libby

I used mine last year one morning when it was -14 in Jackson Hole without a problem other than I just about froze...

Thanks Don. I know plastic does not do well with prolonged exposure to sub-zero temps, but I was not sure about the metal gears becoming brittle at really cold conditions all night. Keeping the photographer warm and working is another issue! But that is just a matter of being prepared with enough/proper clothing.

Don Libby

Joe, can't speak from experience about "prolonged" exposure as the longest was just short of 60-minutes, not all night. I normally keep the tripod in the back of my pickup that has a cover overnight and the temps in Jackson Hole can get very low but then again it's covered.

I'll just say that in all the time I've had the Cube it has never let me down due to any weather conditions. Actually it's never let me down period. Every time I respond to a post asking about the Cube I chuckle thinking about the questions I asked before I went out and spent the money for mine. I also silently thank Jack for suggesting that I do saying if you get it you'll never regret it. It's been several years shooting in surf, sand, ice, snow, mud and I never have.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is very little lube in the cube to freeze up. The friction adjusters are teflon or other polymer, and the gear mechanism is open and Arca suggest dry or waxy silicone lubes for it, neither of which will freeze up. I've used mine at around 0 degrees F with no noticeable issue.

Thanks guys. I've beat the crud out of mine over the years, but was just wondering how it might fare at 30-40 below. Good to hear about the cube lube...