The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

scho

Tomorrow we host the annual international dragon boat races. Boats are arriving and should be a fun event coming up.

Don Libby

We're into our monsoon season now. Last night was the first I had to try out the new Lightning Trigger® by Stepping Stone. I've used their trigger with a Canon and after getting the A7r converted to IR wanted to try capturing lightning in IR. This is the very first lightning image captured last night. I used a 14mm Rokinon lens on the 7r (IR) set manually at f/8 1/125 ISO 100. Processed using just a small amount of HDR in NIK software.

Don Libby

This shot was captured yesterday (7/14/2014) at 3:12 PM. Same lens as before, a 14mm Rokinon on a Sony A7r converted to 665nm infrared. Tripod, f/8 or above 1/15 and ISO 50. Processed using a light touch of HRD with NIK HRD Efex Pro.

Headed to the Sedona AZ area in a few days so we'll have a change of locations for lightning....

D

Deleted member 7792

Amazing stuff, Don. "If you hear it, fear it. If you see it, flee it." Stay safe.

Joe

Don Libby

Amazing stuff, Don. "If you hear it, fear it. If you see it, flee it." Stay safe.

Joe
Thanks Joe, I'm in the middle of putting a blog together on how dangerous this can be. Reminds me of "see one - think two"

You are rocking the camera by the way!

Don

f6cvalkyrie

I used mt FS G1 yesterday, with an external 850 nm filter, for our visit to the Orval Monastery ...

C U,
Rafael

scho

On the waterfront trail with the NEX5N-IR (720) + Zeiss 12mm Touit. Both images were blends between an R/B channel switched version and original (with dng profile corrections). Just an attempt to keep some elements of the neutral and warm original false colors.

scho

Dragon boats with the NEX5N-IR720 and Zeiss 12mm Touit. False color rendering and then BW Adjustment layer, lightening the yellows and darkening the blues to generate a BW image.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This shot was captured yesterday (7/14/2014) at 3:12 PM. Same lens as before, a 14mm Rokinon on a Sony A7r converted to 665nm infrared. Tripod, f/8 or above 1/15 and ISO 50. Processed using a light touch of HRD with NIK HRD Efex Pro.

Headed to the Sedona AZ area in a few days so we'll have a change of locations for lightning....

Don,

Without sucking up too much, I have to say that this is one of the best hybrid IR images I've seen in a long while.

Just got an A7r and so one of my Fuji XT-1s is now destined for full time IR to supplement my XE-1 IR. Think 830/850nm though for this one.

Hmm, maybe I should find another cheap A7r and convert that instead?

Don Libby

Thanks Graham. I wouldn't limit myself to just one level of IR and go either with a full spectrum or 665 conversion then use filters to get the look you're after. In my case the A7r is converted to 665 nm I'm able to use either a 720 or 830 filter to get what I want; like having 3-cameras in one. If I were to do it all over again I'd opt for the full spectrum which gives me more wiggle room. Also can't beat full frame 36 megapixels!

One more thought/plug - if you're going to convert to IR use Life Pixel and please go to their website from our link on our blog as it'll help in some small (very small) way of being able to pay our bills....