The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

fotophil

IR Filters greater than 82mm can be hard to find. Over the years I have had 95mm, 105mm and 115mm filters fabricated by the Howard Glass Company Optics Shop in Worcesteer, MA. My contact is Jason at 1-508-753-8146. They have access to Schott Glass in a wide variety of filters including BG38 (color correction CC1 - a cyan filter), OC590, RG610, RG665, RG715, RG830, RG850 and RG1000. Since they do not stock filter rings, I have had to send them an old filter of the appropriate size. KEH.com and E-bay can be useful sources for old filters in large sizes. It is a small custom shop so expect slow service and high prices.

Don Libby

IR Filters greater than 82mm can be hard to find. Over the years I have had 95mm, 105mm and 115mm filters fabricated by the Howard Glass Company Optics Shop in Worcesteer, MA. My contact is Jason at 1-508-753-8146. They have access to Schott Glass in a wide variety of filters including BG38 (color correction CC1 - a cyan filter), OC590, RG610, RG665, RG715, RG830, RG850 and RG1000. Since they do not stock filter rings, I have had to send them an old filter of the appropriate size. KEH.com and E-bay can be useful sources for old filters in large sizes. It is a small custom shop so expect slow service and high prices.

Thanks Phil, great source of information. The more I shoot with the 7r (haven't gotten it back yet) the more lenses I want to try out which means much larger than 82mm filters.

In talking with Life Pixel on which filters to use they recommended Life Pixel as having the best on the market. Ordered 82mm filters which came a couple days ago and they good very good. Now all I need it the new lens to get here as well as the return of the camera.

We'll be returning to the Palouse area in October and I hope to shoot some IR there alongside my medium format gear. We're also heading to San Diego in a little over a week and would like to have everything for that but not holding my breath...

Don

scho

Early fall cold front blasting through at a Seneca Lake vineyard near Geneva, NY.
A6000 FS 590nm Filter on Zeiss 12mm Touit.

scho

Ithaca city cemetery. A6000 FS, 590nm filter, split toned.

Ithaca city cemetery. A6000 FS, 590nm filter.

Ithaca city cemetery. A6000 FS, 590nm filter, split toned.

Last edited:

alajuela

Hi - Hot Mirror Test Max Max NiteCC1 / Kolari / B+W 486

This was shot with a P45+ Full Spectrum back on a DF+ with SK 80LS.

The light stayed pretty constant - iso 50

Top Row WB = Daylight
Bottom Row WB = Auto

The B+W leaked Infrared in my opinion, anybody else have a similar experience?

With color read outs

Don Libby

Good news and not so ... The A7r was returned last Monday afternoon from Life Pixel after being converted to capture full spectrum. I had it all of 60-minutes before heading out the door to San Diego so I had very little time to get used to it and make certain all my adjustments were there.

Stayed overnight in Yuma thinking that I'd have a chance to shoot the old territorial prison only to find it was closed Tues and Wed for summer hours. Got back in the truck and headed west to San Marcos stopping at the Sunbeam Rest Area off I-8 in Imperial County. So far these are the only shots taken with the Hartblie Super Rotator and all were hand held.

Squatting on the floor with lens shifted upwards.

Just liked the light - handheld lens centered.

Sitting on a bench with the lens shifted up.

All were shot using a 830nm filter and custom white balance.

I ended up shooting the 7r for the next 2-days at the San Diego Safari using both 830nm and full color and will share those shortly (used the FE70-200)

Don Libby

Sony A7r (full spectrum) FE 70-200 (200mm) f/4 1/100 +0.7 ISO 1250 (had ISO set to Auto). Opened and processed in C1-8 correcting white balance then over to PS CC and Nik for Silver Efex Pro. Cropped - handheld and shot through glass...

Don

A Sigma 150-500 DG OS HSM is heading this way today just waiting for the bigh brown truck to arrive. No more cropping!!

scho

A beautiful, warm afternoon in the park. A6000 FS Zeiss 32mm Touit no filter.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi - Hot Mirror Test Max Max NiteCC1 / Kolari / B+W 486

This was shot with a P45+ Full Spectrum back on a DF+ with SK 80LS.

The light stayed pretty constant - iso 50

Top Row WB = Daylight
Bottom Row WB = Auto

The B+W leaked Infrared in my opinion, anybody else have a similar experience?

With color read outs

Yes, Phil. I have the CC1 and a B+W 486, and have had a similar finding. I did not document mine. I find the CC1 works very well for me.

Don Libby

Went out yesterday to test the Hartblie and decided to do shifts and tilts. Began with the lens centered, the 12mm left (0 degrees), 12mm right (180 degrees), 12mm down (90 degrees), 12mm up (270 degrees) then shifted the lens up (0 degrees) and down (180 degrees) for a total of 7 files with no shift in focus, f/11 1/320 ISO 64. I realized too late that I should of added 4-additional captures to shoot a square; if I had done this correctly the image would have been 12437 x 9934 pixels. I shot the first test in full spectrum with the second in 715nm.

And just for kicks...

Don Libby

Don't want to hog this thread so this will be the last one for today...

"Cattle Drive" I didn't have much time to frame this as I had to jump out of the truck dodging mud, water and other stuff. Handheld, Sony A7r shot in full spectrum and converted to black & white. 45mm Hartblie with lens centered f/8 I think 1/320 ISO 64.

Might just have to pint this one...

scho

A6000 FS Zeiss 32mm Touit, no filter, 3 shot stitch. B&W conversion in CS6 using hue/sat and B&W blending layers.

scho

Trying out the A6000 FS on the Cambo Actus with a Hasselblad 80mm Planar. Both images were stitched from 6 frames each. ISO 100, f/11.

590nm Filter

Original

No filter

Original