The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thank you, Phil.

I always was able to set a new WB every time with my G1, but the Sony is giving me an error message, so I'm going with what LifePixel set, so far. The only thing that the preset does is give me more lattitude to set the white balance in post.

The thing that I like most about shooting infrared is that you never know where the photo will be going as you start to work on it. Like Don said on the front page, the photo kind of tells you where to go. The discovery is the fun part.

I like this one the best - My opinion is that is great!!. I love the framing and the feeling!!

I would like to mention, I have had a 5D I converted to 680 (+/-) by life pixel, and now a P45+ / full spectrum from CI, and just did a Fuji to full spectrum. On the issue of WB, I played with these settings for a while
DXO - 2148 / -100
ACR = 2000 / -51
C1 = 1808 / -50

Also brought in the files in C1 with B+W turned on and off , my conclusion is playing and setting the WB is an enjoyable part of the image making. Is interesting to chose different parts of the image to get started on the creative journey.

Best

Phil

Don Libby

Cindy, as well as anyone working with either a NEX-7 or 7R...

I got the same error message with both systems when I tried to set a custom white balance. It wasn't until after I no longer had the NEX-7 that I found the secret. I'd shoot the green blurry image file then go to the custom white balance and follow the instructions (basically hit the enter button in the middle of the wheel). This will give you the error message yet at the same time you'll see a section where it asks which of the 3-custom WB you want to save to. At least this happens on my 7R. I did a custom WB for the 830nm got the error msg yet was able to save it in position 3. I checked it and yes its there. I did the same for the 720 and again for the 665. This works for the 7r so it should work for the NEX7.

I tried this on Sandy's non-converted 7r and it works as advertised (without an error msg) so it makes me think that the setting is valid for IR yet since the sensor has been changed to IR the firmware that houses the custom white balance sees it as an error. Try it - it should works on the NEX7 as it certainly work on my 7r IR. Wish I had tried it with NEX...

Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Will do that, Don. Thank you.

Cindy, as well as anyone working with either a NEX-7 or 7R...

I got the same error message with both systems when I tried to set a custom white balance. It wasn't until after I no longer had the NEX-7 that I found the secret. I'd shoot the green blurry image file then go to the custom white balance and follow the instructions (basically hit the enter button in the middle of the wheel). This will give you the error message yet at the same time you'll see a section where it asks which of the 3-custom WB you want to save to. At least this happens on my 7R. I did a custom WB for the 830nm got the error msg yet was able to save it in position 3. I checked it and yes its there. I did the same for the 720 and again for the 665. This works for the 7r so it should work for the NEX7.

I tried this on Sandy's non-converted 7r and it works as advertised (without an error msg) so it makes me think that the setting is valid for IR yet since the sensor has been changed to IR the firmware that houses the custom white balance sees it as an error. Try it - it should works on the NEX7 as it certainly work on my 7r IR. Wish I had tried it with NEX...

Don

Don Libby

Cindy, still love that first image you shared from the NEX-7, the sky is beautiful and the mix of colors in the trees work very well. Glad you didn't crop out the bench.

The Ice Cream Social reminds me of a much old time.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Don Libby

Mr boring ... IR faux colour but I liked the B&W rendering

Fuji X-E1 650nm, 1/15s f/16 ISO 200

Graham I'll start calling you "Mr Boring" now...

This is damn near perfect! The only thing that would have made it better in my opinion is that I took it instead of you!

Is that a dust cloud in the distance? Oh and will you share where this was taken?

Don

A lot of great talent here folks!

Thor Lidasan

Great image Thor! Reminds me of the dystopic movie Mad Max. Great color and detail.
Thanks, Don!

I do enjoy shooting IR. The freedom to defy our conventional ideas about color schemes is one of the reason why I gravitated towards IR.

I do indulge in B&W IR also, so here's one from your neck of the woods, Grand Canyon, Arizona:

f6cvalkyrie

this is a stitch of 5 shots from my Full Spectrum Paan G1 with an external 650nm filter and some PP including NIK Color EFEX Pro 2

C U,
Rafael

Don Libby

We're getting some great samples here. Please include the filter used if you would so as to give others information.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nex7 665nm with 1937 Contax Carl Zeiss Sonnar 50 f/1.5. I was happy that my old Sonnar did not have a hot spot.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham I'll start calling you "Mr Boring" now...

This is damn near perfect! The only thing that would have made it better in my opinion is that I took it instead of you!

Is that a dust cloud in the distance? Oh and will you share where this was taken?

Don

A lot of great talent here folks!
Thanks! I normally get called Mr Pastel by my colour shooting friends :)

That's Evergreen Plantation on River Rd, just outside New Orleans and quite near the classic Oak Alley Plantation. I think this is better and not a tourist location. The farm truck went barreling down the road and it was sunny with god beams so what is a man supposed to do? :thumbs:

f6cvalkyrie

From the same location, but with a 850nm external filter now
B/W processing in NIK Silver EFEX

C U,
Rafael