The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
and another one from the same shoot

C U,
Rafael
I love the sky in this one.
What lens do you use on your G1? I usually end up using the kit 14-42mm on my G1 IR 665nm. I like the G1 for IR because it is little and light and tucks into the corner of my bag.

f6cvalkyrie

I love the sky in this one.
What lens do you use on your G1? I usually end up using the kit 14-42mm on my G1 IR 665nm. I like the G1 for IR because it is little and light and tucks into the corner of my bag.
Often, Cindy, it's the good old 14-45 Panny kitlens that came with my G1 so many years ago ... Indeed, G1 is ideal for IR shooting while hiking.

C U
Rafael

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Raf,
You are correct, 14-45mm. (I have the Oly 14-42, too, and get the ranges mixed up.) It is a fantastic little machine, that original G1.

Here is one with mine and the Panny 14-45mm kit lens:

Don Libby

After deciding to try a 135mm lens on the 7r (IR) I went looking for one and found it on E-Bay. Found what was advertized as a JC Penney 135mm f/2.8 manual focus lens adapted to Sony E mount. Seeing as how it was listed at $99.99 I figured I couldn't really go wrong. Ended paying $106.84 with shipping. Got it just a little while ago and immediately took a couple test shots.

Both shot f/8 160 ISO 50 and 665 nm

Haven't had a 135 since the M9 .....

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
The lens has a nice OOF for a $99 lens. It also doesn't have a hot spot, so that is good. It looks like a great find. A long lens opens up a whole new IR world.

I especailly like the first one of the seed pods.

You have inspired me to get out my 135's and give them a try. I have a Leica M mount Canon 135 f/3.5 and a Leica 135 f/2.8 elmarit-R. I also have two 100mm macros that have adapters for my NEX7, so this should be fun.

Don Libby

I remember shooting the 135 a lot while I was using the M9; Sandy even had a 135 with her Canon. While I want to keep the 7r (IR) as simple as possible using the 24-70 as my base lens I also decided that I needed a little longer reach after deciding to visit San Diego Wildlife Safari later this year (it also should be interesting in Jackson Hole).

While the lens has JCPenney printed on it, it also shows it was made in Japan so who knows who actually made it. As best as I can tell the lens was made or offered in the '80s. At $99 I think it's a keeper! :D

scho

NEX 5N-IR (720 nm) with Mamiya 645 55mm f/2.8 N on a Rhinocam. Manual exposure 1/40 sec f/16 ISO 100. Eight image stitch in AutoPano Pro3.51. The raw images were first batch processed through AccuRaw Monochrome with the settings for IR converted sensors and exported as DNG files to LR. I use custom toning RGB icc profiles that are designed mainly for print soft proofing but can also be used to tone neutral images simply by profile conversion in CS6. The profile used on this image was a warm/neutral tone derived from a print made on Canson Platine using the True BW Rip with a warm/neutral profile. You can easily make your own RGB toning/softproofing profiles using Roy Harrington's QTR RGB-ICC profile generator.

Image below links to a larger image that is 25% of original image size.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Beautiful toning and amazing detail in the larger image.

NEX 5N-IR (720 nm) with Mamiya 645 55mm f/2.8 N on a Rhinocam. Manual exposure 1/40 sec f/16 ISO 100. Eight image stitch in AutoPano Pro3.51. The raw images were first batch processed through AccuRaw Monochrome with the settings for IR converted sensors and exported as DNG files to LR. I use custom toning RGB icc profiles that are designed mainly for print soft proofing but can also be used to tone neutral images simply by profile conversion in CS6. The profile used on this image was a warm/neutral tone derived from a print made on Canson Platine using the True BW Rip with a warm/neutral profile. You can easily make your own RGB toning/softproofing profiles using Roy Harrington's QTR RGB-ICC profile generator.

Image below links to a larger image that is 25% of original image size.

scho

Beautiful toning and amazing detail in the larger image.
Thanks Cindy. I added a dropbox link to the icc profile for anyone who might want to try this method of toning. Just put the profile in your colorsync profiles folder so it can be accessed in either photoshop or lightroom. Open your image file (RGB) in photoshop use the Convert to profile menu command and select the toning profile with Absolute Colorimetric rendering option. Then Convert the image back to RGB (Adobe or Prophoto RGB, whatever the original was) using Perceptual rendering.

Last edited:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks for sharing the profile, Carl. I use split toning quite a bit in LR, but am happy to have a new technique to use. Here is a photo I took recently in Charleston, SC with my Panasonic 665nm and Oly 12-40 f/2.8 Pro. I did not do a channel swap or desaturation. I just took it into Photoshop and converted to your profile.

scho

Thanks for sharing the profile, Carl. I use split toning quite a bit in LR, but am happy to have a new technique to use. Here is a photo I took recently in Charleston, SC with my Panasonic 665nm and Oly 12-40 f/2.8 Pro. I did not do a channel swap or desaturation. I just took it into Photoshop and converted to your profile.

Looks very nice Cindy.

Uaiomex

Thanks to Cindy, I found you guys!
Second day. The learning curve is waayyy steeper than I thought. I can't get a decent B&W image. I don't know if it's because the Super Color conversion or what? However, color ones are starting come nicely.
Maybe that's the reason I see so much color IR.
The 20mm pancake I find very sharp. Maybe I did read too many reviews saying it was a so so lens. It is not, it's great and love the shade!
I hope to learn from everybody here. Super thread!
Eduardo

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks to Cindy, I found you guys!
Second day. The learning curve is waayyy steeper than I thought. I can't get a decent B&W image. I don't know if it's because the Super Color conversion or what? However, color ones are starting come nicely.
Maybe that's the reason I see so much color IR.
The 20mm pancake I find very sharp. Maybe I did read too many reviews saying it was a so so lens. It is not and love the shade!
I hope to learn from everybody here. Super thread!
Eduardo

Glad to have you here. I LOVE this super color. I will get this conversion next time.

What kind of trouble are you having converting to black and white?

Are you doing a custom white balance (shoot green grass). Your Sony will probably show an error, but it will set it.

If you are using LR or ACR, there is a problem getting the WB to set properly. I made a profile following this: Setting White Balance on Infrared Images with Lightroom (with video) | Luminescence of Nature Photography I set the profile on each photo in LR.

I notice that you did not reverse the red and blue channels. By doing that, your false color will have blue in sky. It is not necessary, but it might help to do that before changing to black and white.

Are you converting to black and white in LR or PS? If so, you can move the sliders of the individual colors to help to get the black and white look that you want.

If all else fails, you can buy a 830nm filter for your lens and use that when you want black and white images.

I'm looking forward to more of this awesome Super Color! I wouldn't change a thing in this photo. I really like it just the way that it is.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Graham,
Both are stunning, but I prefer the color. My eye is drawn right in by the color, and the trees seem to have an extra bit of luminosity.