The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Uaiomex

Mine is from Life Pixel. So far so good but it is a bit early to evaluate quality of the conversion. What I can say is that the service and communication is top grade. I did my conversion by mail dropping from B&H and then I had to synchronize the converted camera sent to a hotel destiny in San Diego to my sisters name. Logistics worked because I planned it carefully in advanced and because Daniel Malkin at Life Pixel was all the help that anyone could need.
I wouldn't hesitate to recomend anyone ordering a conversion from any country in the world. These guys stand behind all the time.
Imagine, I live in Tulum, Mexico and I'm enjoying an IR converted camera that started selling just 6 weeks ago.
Well, another boring day in paradise!
Eduardo

Mine is from LifePixel. I bought it from Don Libby. He upgraded to an A7r LifePixel conversion. I think that Eduardo had his A6000 done by LifePixel. I will use LifePixel next time.
BTW, LifePixel has a lot of Infrared shooting info on their website.

Last edited:

scho

Mine is from LifePixel. I bought it from Don Libby. He upgraded to an A7r LifePixel conversion. I think that Eduardo had his A6000 done by LifePixel. I will use LifePixel next time.
BTW, LifePixel has a lot of Infrared shooting info on their website.
Mine is from Life Pixel. So far so good but it is a bit early to evaluate quality of the conversion. What I can say is that the service and communication is top grade. I did my conversion by mail dropping from B&H and then I had to synchronize the converted camera sent to a hotel destiny in San Diego to my sisters name. Logistics worked because I planned it carefully in advanced and because Daniel Malkin at Life Pixel was all the help that anyone could need.
I wouldn't hesitate to recomend anyone ordering a conversion from any country in the world. These guys stand behind all the time.
Imagine, I live in Tulum, Mexico and I'm enjoying an IR converted camera that started selling just 6 weeks ago.
Well, another boring day in paradise!
Eduardo
Thank you Cindy and Eduardo for your comments about LifePixel and conversions. I'm not ready yet for another IR camera, but LifePixel for a SuperColor conversion is at the top of my wish list.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Palouse Grain Storage Depot

Leaf Aptus 65M 650nm, Phase One DF+, 35D, 1/15s f/22 ISO50

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Carl, the test pictures before with no hot spots visible were shot at f5.6
I conducted today another small test with the kit zoom lens thinking about what you said and closed down to f16.
The first one is towards the sun, but I was careful to be in the complete shade under the tree. I can see a faint hot spot. After channel swap it is even harder to see it.
The second one was shot almost perpendicular to the sun. If there is a hot spot in this picture is very hard to see.
Next I'll try a bracketed test.
Regards
Eduardo

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham, The color and detail from the Leaf Aptus is amazing.
Yes, the Aptus sensor seems pretty amenable to IR conversion.

When you do this:

you end up with a spare IR cut filter frame so I had a local IR conversion house build this for me using the old filter frame and a 650nm cut off filter glass (I got a replacement std IR cut filter assembly so this was now spare). Btw, the BEST $150 I've spent in a long time to resurrect my dormant Leaf back that I'd long since replaced:

One thing I will say though is the 28mp of stopped down IR imagery has a LOT of dust spots at f/22 !!! Luckily I had nearly five hours on a flight home this week to spot my images!

scho

Two shots of the Inlet Island Fitness center taken with the NEX 5N-IR (720) and Touit 12mm Distagon. Note the strong IR reflections from the windows that behave like hot mirror filters. I guess it might cut down on AC energy costs in the summer. I can also see my reflection in the window in the second shot.

Don Libby

Been on the road traveling to Jackson Hole WY via Moab and haven't had a chance to visit. Thought I'd add this image and later after resting up return and catch up.

Shafer Canyon Overlook, Island in the Sky District, Canyonland Nation Park, Moab UT. Sony A7r (converted to 665nm) using a FE 24-70 (36mm) F/6.3 1/125 ISO 200 and a 830nm filter attached to the lens.

Don

Don Libby

Sony A7r IR (665nm) with a FE 24-70 (70mm) and 830nm filter attached. f/6.3 1/125 ISO 160. I've found when shooting with the 830nm filter it easier to set the ISO to "auto" which is something I normally dislike doing yet it work with this filter.

Don Libby

Three shot pano using a 830nm filter on the FE 24-70. Handheld, f/8 1/160 ISO 200. I've also tested Sandy's FE 70-200 yesterday and will share shortly.

Don Libby

I tried out Sandy's FE70-200 on the 7rIR yesterday. Driving along Horse Creek Rd in Dubois WY we spotted this small herd of horses and thought it would be an ideal way of testing the lens. Handheld, 200mm f/8 1/125 ISO 100 665nm IR. Yes the lens works.

scho

Just checking out the Mamiya 645 55mm f/2.8 N on a Rhinocam adapter with the NEX 5N-IR (720). Yields a nice 80 MP wide angle image (stitched from 6 images), but I still prefer using single shot with the Touit 12mm directly on the NEX 5N.

alajuela

I tried out Sandy's FE70-200 on the 7rIR yesterday. Driving along Horse Creek Rd in Dubois WY we spotted this small herd of horses and thought it would be an ideal way of testing the lens. Handheld, 200mm f/8 1/125 ISO 100 665nm IR. Yes the lens works.

This is really nice - really nice!!!!! - did I say really nice?

Phil

alajuela

Hi

These were posted a while ago - but now they have a "Home" :D

Full Spetrum converted to B&W P45+ / DF+ / f14 1.3 sec ISO 50 Phase 45mm

Thanks

Phil