The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

f6cvalkyrie

Many nice additions here, interesting subjects and cameras !

This one is from my FS G1 with an external 850nm filter on the kitlens 14-45

C U,
Rafael

Don Libby

Phil, thanks for the very kind words.

This is that's left of the cabin from the movie Shane. Shot inside looking out towards the Tetons. Sony A7r (665nm IR) FE24-70 (24mm) f/8 1/160 ISO 100 handheld. Had a little fun processing it.

Off to Yellowstone

scho

Back to the 12mm Touit on the NEX 5N-IR (720). Three from the Newman Arboretum at Cornell University.

I also processed the last one in false color, but preferred the monochrome for this scene.

Uaiomex

I was at the beach with full sunshine with the Sony 20mm prime shooting @f8. The sun was at my 7 o'clock. This lens produces hot spots, yes, in plural.
First one is channel-swap only. You can see a big circle with normal color and outside of it a magenta cast
Second one is only with +75 saturation just to show how bad can it get.
I think most lenses if not all will produce hot spots under the right circumstances.
I'll have to learn to live with it.
Best
Eduardo

Last edited by a moderator:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Eduardo,
I tried to see if I could fix your links, but I couldn't. I can not see your photos. Would you please try to re-post them.

Don Libby

Cindy, I finally tried the like you shared awhile back to set a custom profile. I watched the video on how to do it and was left with the impression that while it might work what happens is that you are setting what you "think" the white balance is or should be. While it helps in resetting the white balance after the setting is saved and opened in LR it nevertheless is not an exact file of what the camera actually captured - it might be close. While it does give more room to work in I'd rather keep doing what I've been doing; that is opening my files in Sony software, saving the RAW file to a Tiff. It might be more time consuming however I know the Tiff is an exact file of what the camera took. I then open the file in either C1 or PS CC for processing.

I've also found that while I can not duplicate the WB of either a 665 or 720 I can come very close to 830nm; but not close enough.

Photographing in infrared is exciting yet very time consuming but I wouldn't trade it. If I ever have a Graham moment with my IQ160 that just might turn into an IR back :grin:.

There so much great work here that if I don't visit everyday I feel I loose out.

Don

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Don, The preset works out for me. I like doing everything in LR (until it is time to go to Photoshop). Click, click, click. I can always go back and start over, which is the biggest advantage to me.
There is no right way to do this, and that is part of the fun. We all have to find what works for us.

Cindy, I finally tried the like you shared awhile back to set a custom profile. I watched the video on how to do it and was left with the impression that while it might work what happens is that you are setting what you "think" the white balance is or should be. While it helps in resetting the white balance after the setting is saved and opened in LR it nevertheless is not an exact file of what the camera actually captured - it might be close. While it does give more room to work in I'd rather keep doing what I've been doing; that is opening my files in Sony software, saving the RAW file to a Tiff. It might be more time consuming however I know the Tiff is an exact file of what the camera took. I then open the file in either C1 or PS CC for processing.

I've also found that while I can not duplicate the WB of either a 665 or 720 I can come very close to 830nm; but not close enough.

Photographing in infrared is exciting yet very time consuming but I wouldn't trade it. If I ever have a Graham moment with my IQ160 that just might turn into an IR back :grin:.

There so much great work here that if I don't visit everyday I feel I loose out.

Don

Don Libby

Finally taking a short break from shooting in Jackson Hole catching up on light processing and getting a chance to spend some quality time here.

Thor - Post #110 (it's easier for me to do it this way as I'm so far behind)

That first image in the post is beautiful. Like the shadows, colors and the slight sense of movement.

scho - Post #112 - My favorite lens when I shot the NEX-7 was the 12mm Touit. Great image and processing.

Cindy - Post #113 - bad news...I had ordered both the 12 and 32mm when they were first released and had to return the 32 due to very poor performance with hot spots.

scho - Post #122 - just a minor plug for LifePixel. I've now had several cameras converted by them and in each case the communication and workmanship was excellent. I've had no qualms in referring people to them and am now an affiliate of theirs. If you want more information of their services please visit our blog and click on the link on the right column.

Graham - Post #123 & 124. I hesitate to say this however, I do like the Palouse Round Barn and wonder what it would look like with just a little bit more contrast. The Gain Storage is spot on.

scho - Post #129 - not much to say here other than very nice! Really like the second with the reflections in the water. Well done.

scho - Post #135 - Excellent!

alajuela - Post #140 & 141 & 142 - very nice! Glad we have a "Home" as well. Now you have me thinking of the possibilities of the IQ160!

Rafael - Post #143 WOW! I'm finding I really like what IR does to horses and wildlife.

Cindy - Post #146 One word - Stunning (anything else would only be less)

scho - Post #149 again like what you've done.

The great thing in shooting IR is the unexpected. While I can see what the sensor sees in using the A7r or any other mirrorless camera the great part is in opening the file and beginning to process it. C1-Pro does well as does Photoshop and I would be lost if I did have the Nik software suite.

I also wish to thank all those who expressed kind words for the sample I've posted. We're about to head out again and the next couple days will be busy/crazy so don't know if I'll be visiting much if at all. Please keep up the good work and keep posting.

Sorry that this got so long......

scho

Skies were really "hot" today producing deep, inky blue/black IR tones. Looking higher up in the sky was like peering into the blackness of outer space. Three shots below from a walk on the waterfront trail with the NEX 5N-IR (720) and Touit 12mm.

Thor Lidasan

Thank you for the compliments, Don!

What I love the most in IR is that the usual muted RAW canvas that I start with is full of surprises. A slight change of WB, a push on a slider here and there, flipping the channels, varying the amount of hues lead me to a potpourri of colors.

Best, probably is let the images speak for themselves:

#1 Brooklyn Botanical Garden (Sigma DP1 + 550nm)

#2 Wedding at the Central Park (Sigma DP1 + 550nm IR)

#3 Sailing (Sigma DP1 + 550nm)

#4 Nuts for Nuts (Sony NEX-3 + 590nm)

#5 Snug Harbor, Staten Island (Sigma DP1 + 550nm)

#6 Batangas, Philippines (Nikon D40x + 720nm)

#7 Under a mango tree (Nikon D40x + 720nm)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thor, I love your work. I especially like the 550nm filter! You are very creative with your conversions.

Carl, You are really shooting some beautiful IR with that Zeiss Touit.

alajuela

Hi

This is not infrared - but to give you an idea of a shot on a full spectrum camera - still can shot "normal" and this one with no hot mirror.

Shot in a Lane in Shanghai - Fuji X-Pro 1 Converted to Full Spectrum with no hot mirror
52.7mm f5.6 1/125 iso 800

Thanks

Phil

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Now I get it, after looking at the man's shirt. It looks just like a photo from my former M8 without the cut IR filter on the lens.
So, if you put a cut IR filter on the lens, you can use it like a regular camera? Then if you put a 665nm filter on the lens, it can be false color?
Is there any downside to doing this to a camera?