The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

alajuela

Now I get it, after looking at the man's shirt. It looks just like a photo from my former M8 without the cut IR filter on the lens.
So, if you put a cut IR filter on the lens, you can use it like a regular camera? Then if you put a 665nm filter on the lens, it can be false color?
Is there any downside to doing this to a camera?
Hi Cindy

Yes if you put a hot mirror filter (which is an UV / IR cut filter) on the front of the lens, then yes it is "back to normal" visible light.

And yes - on a full spectrum camera you can put the IR cut filter of your choice 580 (I think there is one in the 500nm range)- 650 - 720 - 820 etc. The only downside would be; you need to get step up rings (assuming you get a 77mm - which I advise) and also remember to take both the filter and correct step up ring.

I have been told that there are advantages (better detail) to the having the hot mirror on the lens as opposed to the sensor, but I am not that technical.

Also - I have been told for B&W conversion - shooting full spectrum gives you a more detailed image than a camera with a hot mirror.

Here are two hot mirrors that I know of

B+W 77mm UV/IR Cut 486M MRC Filter 66-031976 B&H Photo Video

Hot Mirror UVIR Cut Filter | Kolari Vision Infrared Conversion Service and IR Photography

I have both and like the Kolari better - I got one from them when they converted my Fuji X-Pro 1

Thanks

Phil

Last edited:

Thor Lidasan

Thank you, Cindy! Emulating the Kodak Infrared Ektachrome film is something that I really like doing in IR. The 720nm can also pull it off with the right amount of channel mixer adjustments.

Here is another one from Sigma DP1 + 550nm:

Hollywood Forever Memorial Park (Hollywood, LA)

scho

Thor, I love your work. I especially like the 550nm filter! You are very creative with your conversions.

Carl, You are really shooting some beautiful IR with that Zeiss Touit.
Thanks Cindy. The 12mm Touit has become my favorite lens on the IR NEX.

f6cvalkyrie

This is from my Full Spectrum G1 with the 14-45 (which produced some hotspots under certain combinations of focal length and orientation of the sun) with the 650 nm external filter

C U,
Rafael

Don Libby

Been working 10-12 hr days the past week and decided enough is enough. Of course it helps that we don't have a cloud in the sky...

One of the things I like to do is "smoke" water. Even more fun when it's done in IR. Both taken with the Sony A7r (IR) using a FE 70-200mm lens at 200 on tripod and remote shutter release.

f/22 0.4 ISO 50

f/22 1/6 ISO 50

D

Deleted member 7792

Having been inspired by the imaginative and creative photographs in this thread, I had a Sony a7R converted to IR by Life Pixel. Enhanced IR (665nm). Still working on a repeatable process. Thanks to Don Libby for sharing some of his files with me while I was waiting on my camera. This is from yesterday afternoon at Yates Mill in Raleigh.

Joe

alajuela

Hi

Well - some info - On the Fuji - the 18 - 55mm presents you at no added charge a "Hot Spot" when shooting with an B+W 092 or 093. In C1 not difficult to fix - (still hoping they put opacity controls on their layers).

The Fuji 35 - is fantastic, and also shot a Canon 135 f3.5 RF - I was not thrilled - softer than expected - will try the Canon again.

Phil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Phil

Fuji 14, 18 and 35mm all work well. 55-200 too. The 18 & zoom only get hot spots when stopped down past f/8. Rockinon 8mm fish works ok too.

18-55 & 10-24 not so great. 60mm no go. I haven't tried my 23 or 27mm.

alajuela

Phil

Fuji 14, 18 and 35mm all work well. 55-200 too. The 18 & zoom only get hot spots when stopped down past f/8. Rockinon 8mm fish works ok too.

Thank you Graham -- This is good information. Think I will get a prime wide - 14 or 18.

Best

Phil

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another Fuji 14mm IR on XPro1 with 720nm

The 14mm is probably my favourite IR lens for this system. No hot spot at all.

Smoothjazz

Graham,

I like this image a lot! to too over the top as far as infrared effect.

What infrared conversion did you have done to your camera, and which company?
Thanks,

John

Uaiomex

New attempt. It is hard getting a suitable B&W picture with the Super Color. I don't feel like using (and buying) filters. Let's wait till I learn more. I like this one tho.
Eduardo

Don Libby

New attempt. It is hard getting a suitable B&W picture with the Super Color. I don't feel like using (and buying) filters. Let's wait till I learn more. I like this one tho.
Eduardo

I like what you did to this. Left just a bit of color and made it very interesting.

alajuela

Phil

Hi Graham

Has anybody had any experience with the 56mm 1.2?

Please let me know when you try the 23 and 27

Thanks

Phil

D

Deleted member 7792

Same subject as before. Different color treatment. Different lens.

And a b&w version.

Joe