The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

f6cvalkyrie

The moon with the Full Spectrum G1, and a 850nm in the Nikkor if-ed 300/2.8 + 2x teleconvertor TC300

C U,
Rafael

f6cvalkyrie

From a children's regatta on a nearby lake
The traditional FS G1 with the 850nm external filter and some PP

C U,
Rafael

Don Libby

I'm working on a solution for infrared white balance when changing filters on a converted camera. Instead of shooting/storing a custom white balance in the camera and wondering it it suits the scene capture a WB file at the beginning using that to set the WB for all files shot using that filter. It appears to be working as planned thus eliminating the need to "wash" the files through the camera software (in my case the really wonky Sony Image Data Converter) instead opening the files in either C1 or Adobe Bridge and setting the WB there.

It's showing promise and I have Ken Doo to thank for putting me on this path.

Don

Don Libby

Been off chasing images so haven't had a lot of time to post images but hopefully will catch up (sort of) today.

Picked up a new 590nm filter and tried it out.

Top image is as shot in camera while the other represents some processing using C1 and PS-CC. Sony A7r Full Spectrum with a 590 filter attached to a FE 24-70 at 25mm. f/8 1/320 ISO 50

Don

Don Libby

Took this the other day driving through Miami on my way to Globe AZ to meet with a client.

Sony A7r Full Spectrum with a 830nm attached to a FE24-70 (39mm) f/8 1/400 ISO 1000 (ISO set to Auto)

Don

Don Libby

Last one today as I don't wish to bore anyone...

Shoot at the Golden Spike National Monument while driving to The Palouse.

Sony A7r Full Spectrum FE24-70 at 24mm f/14 1/125 ISO 64. This is the shot that started be thinking of getting the 16-35 which I've now ordered.....

Put the 830nm on for this shot.

Don

Don Libby

Still testing/getting used to the Mitakon 50mm f/.95. From this morning, outside, handheld, f/1.1 1/640 ISO 100. Shot with a 590nm IR filter and later converted in NIK Silver Efex Pro. I really do like this lens!

iiiNelson

Soo many great images in this thread and it inspired me to convert my A7r to Full Spectrum for the flexibility of being able to shoot in any of the band/wavelength that the sensor sees. Should be fun. LifePixel is currently doing their 20% off sale right now so if you're on the fence there's a reason to get off of it. I used the link through Don's Blog and I don't see any reason not to help out if you're planning on conversion (unless someone else here is affiliated.)

Don Libby

Soo many great images in this thread and it inspired me to convert my A7r to Full Spectrum for the flexibility of being able to shoot in any of the band/wavelength that the sensor sees. Should be fun. LifePixel is currently doing their 20% off sale right now so if you're on the fence there's a reason to get off of it. I used the link through Don's Blog and I don't see any reason not to help out if you're planning on conversion (unless someone else here is affiliated.)

Thanks for the support! Now you get the best of all - you can use just about any lens filter to get the look you're after.

Don

Don Libby

Testing the new FE16-35 to see how well it plays in IR. This was captured using a Sony A7r converted to full spectrum and using a 830nm filter on the lens. f/8 1/400 ISO 640 (I normally keep the ISO on "Auto" when using the 830nm filter). No crop...

I've shared more on our latest blog...

don

iiiNelson

While slower than I like for visible light it seems these FE lenses are great for IR seeing how shooting in high sun is he preferred IR method. Still contemplating the 70-200 and 16-35 but I'm through my lens budget until next year unless I sale something... So where did I put all those Leica lenses...

V

Vivek

Tre, I would have gone for an IR conversion ( say 590nm, add stronger filters on the lens when needed) than "FS", unless you shoot in the UV with special lenses.

I plan to make my 7r IR if i get the A7II.

iiiNelson

I do have a question though for you Don since you are specifically using an A7R. How's the noise and response on the A7R for near IR or UV compared to visible light? Are you seeing that you are shooting at lower ISO or higher shutter speed in comparison?

iiiNelson

Tre, I would have gone for an IR conversion ( say 590nm, add stronger filters on the lens when needed) than "FS", unless you shoot in the UV with special lenses.

I plan to make my 7r IR if i get the A7II.
I thought about that really hard at first but I really like to have as many options available to me. I can always get a UV filter, a visible light filter, and/or any combination of IR filters. I don't have any UV lenses yet (and I'm not sure about the response to UV on any of my current lenses) but it's something that interests me as well for fun.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'm working on a solution for infrared white balance when changing filters on a converted camera. Instead of shooting/storing a custom white balance in the camera and wondering it it suits the scene capture a WB file at the beginning using that to set the WB for all files shot using that filter. It appears to be working as planned thus eliminating the need to "wash" the files through the camera software (in my case the really wonky Sony Image Data Converter) instead opening the files in either C1 or Adobe Bridge and setting the WB there.

It's showing promise and I have Ken Doo to thank for putting me on this path.

Don

I have mentioned this before, but for new IR users, I'll post it again. For each camera/filter combination make a camera profile in Lightroom or Adobe Bridge by:
Save a Raw file to a .dng
Open .dng in Adobe Profile Editor (download from Adobe for free)
Under the Color Matrices tab, set temperature to -85
Name and Export to Camera Profile

When you shoot a photo with that filter, select the Camera Profile in Lightroom or Bridge. You can then use the eyedropper to tweak the white balance if needed.

iiiNelson

I have mentioned this before, but for new IR users, I'll post it again. For each camera/filter combination make a camera profile in Lightroom or Adobe Bridge by:
Save a Raw file to a .dng
Open .dng in Adobe Profile Editor (download from Adobe for free)
Under the Color Matrices tab, set temperature to -85
Name and Export to Camera Profile

When you shoot a photo with that filter, select the Camera Profile in Lightroom or Bridge. You can then use the eyedropper to tweak the white balance if needed.
Thanks for this and I've read this I think on a previous page over the last few days. I still use Lightroom but I've been forcing myself to use/learn C1P8 the last couple months.

I saw there was also a lot of filter talk... Any filter recommendations from personal experience since some time has gone by since the last comments were made? I looked at the Kolari's earlier today and they seem to be decently priced but are there any systems that will prevent me from having to buy the same filers in multiple sizes? I'm most interested initially in the 550-590nm, the 800nm+ wavelengths, and the ability to take normal pictures as well. My lenses vary between 49mm, 67mm, 72mm,and 77mm.

On a side note this is a great thread that perhaps it gets lost in the "nether realm" between the camera boards and the Buy/Sell section. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to move it near the camera talk or have it in the alternative board or make an alternative EM spectrum location for those that do IR/UV/Astrophotography/forensics?

V

Vivek

There is a sophisticated (but pretty expensive) way to WB. Use a spectralon WB disc to do an in camera WB (works with Sony cams and with Sony IDC) and shoot away.

V

Vivek

I thought about that really hard at first but I really like to have as many options available to me. I can always get a UV filter, a visible light filter, and/or any combination of IR filters. I don't have any UV lenses yet (and I'm not sure about the response to UV on any of my current lenses) but it's something that interests me as well for fun.
None in your list will do.