The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This is my first attempt at IR. These are the first pics I've taken in IR, and with my new A6000. Just a novice, of course, and I have a lot to learn, especially about post processing.

I just had a new Sony A6000 converted to dual spectrum by Kolari, and I am shooting with a Sigma 30mm f2.8.... my only lens so far. Any comments/ criticism is appreciated.
Congratulations on the new camera. I especially like the shot of the orange tree!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Magnolia Cemetery, Charleston, SC
A6000 FS and 590nm on Sigma A-mount 10-20 f/3.f5

Live Oak at Mepkin Abbey, Monks Corner, SC

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

very strange cloud above our garden, late this afternoon ...
Never mind the darker vertical lines, caused by stitching the 4 pictures making up the panorama ...
Do you also see the eyes in the sky, or is it just me having had too much vodka ???

Good night,
Rafael

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Raf,
That is a strange cloud. That is one of my favorite things about IR...the fact that you can see cloud detail that the naked eye did not see.
I do see the eyes....I didn't see them at first, but now I do. Spooky!

very strange cloud above our garden, late this afternoon ...
Never mind the darker vertical lines, caused by stitching the 4 pictures making up the panorama ...
Do you also see the eyes in the sky, or is it just me having had too much vodka ???

Good night,
Rafael

Last edited:

Don Libby

Cindy, really nice work. I thought liked the first image (swamp) until I saw the second (cemetery) - beautiful!

Don

Sunpilot

Great photo. The subject matter is very interesting and the colors are surreal. Is there any way to make the sky a blue color without losing the other colors in this shot? I am referring to the "boats-1" in the Cypress swamp...sorry

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Re: "Capturing Infrared"

Simply Magical Cindy!
Thanks, Marc.

-
Great photo. The subject matter is very interesting and the colors are surreal. Is there any way to make the sky a blue color without losing the other colors in this shot? I am referring to the "boats-1" in the Cypress swamp...sorry
Frank, I did not flip the channels in this one. I like the gold sky/blue foliage look sometimes and just decide to leave it that way. In this case, I liked the gold light on the trees because it looked warm, and I thought the blue boats looked good against the warm tones.
If you bring the photo (as it is now) to Photoshop and duplicate the layer, you can now flip the channels on the top layer and put a black mask on it (to hide the flipped channels). You are now looking at the original (unflipped) photo, and can paint blue into the sky and reflection without changing the rest of the photo.

Last edited:

Sunpilot

Re: "Capturing Infrared"

Thanks, Marc.

-
Frank, I did not flip the channels in this one. I like the gold sky/blue foliage look sometimes and just decide to leave it that way. In this case, I liked the gold light on the trees because it looked warm, and I thought the blue boats looked good against the warm tones.
If you bring the photo (as it is now) to Photoshop and duplicate the layer, you can now flip the channels on the top layer and put a black mask on it (to hide the flipped channels). You are now looking at the original (unflipped) photo, and can paint blue into the sky and reflection without changing the rest of the photo.
I have so much to learn...keep up the great work, I enjoy seeing the photos and different techniques. I'm really getting an appreciation of IR from all the great photos posted in this forum.

iiiNelson

For those interested I just picked up both of my Zeiss Batis Lenses today. Both show IR hotspots stopped down with my 590nm although the 25 isn't as obvious as the 85. I haven't tried shooting them with my IR850 although I may do that this afternoon if it stops raining. Just passing on the information that I've learned. The Sony Zeiss 35/1.4 and 55/1.8 both work great for IR photography.

The Batis lenses are outstanding otherwise.