The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

iiiNelson

I've dealt with hot spots much worse than this. How is it at f/8? Thanks for sharing this info, Tre.
I'll try to do more testing... This is corrected by way of fiddling with the highlight slider. It's not horrible with the 850nm filter. It's worse with the 590nm filter straight out the camera but that too will require more testing. I've been swamped with work and wedding stuff but hopefully I will be getting some more time to shoot in the next few weeks.

I'm waiting on the Adobe ACR/Lightroom Batis Profiles as my belief is that Adobe took their rendering engine up another level even above LR5 with LR6/CC. When combined with Photoshop and DXO I think I can get a better overall image than I can in Capture One Pro 8 that seems to add a tiny bit of softness to my multispectral images... which is great for portraits but not environmental shots. Capture One still has the edge for tethered shooting I believe though.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

That's funny. "More time to shoot" AFTER getting married. :ROTFL:

Joe
We both understand the importance of time for ourselves to support our addictions - whether it's her time in reading at Barnes & Nobles or my time to try to find artistic beauty in daily living. It's healthier that way we feel.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My limited experience is the deeper IR you go, the worse any hot-spotting gets. One reason I like the lower false color band, and speaking for myself, prefer the more balanced look from them when converted to mono. Obviously for the high-contrast deep-IR look, you want to learn to deal with the hots. I found that a broadly feathered circular mask in CS can do wonders -- when you have it figured, save the mask for future use as a pre-set for that lens, then play with contrast and brightness sliders to balance.

iiiNelson

My limited experience is the deeper IR you go, the worse any hot-spotting gets. One reason I like the lower false color band, and speaking for myself, prefer the more balanced look from them when converted to mono. Obviously for the high-contrast deep-IR look, you want to learn to deal with the hots. I found that a broadly feathered circular mask in CS can do wonders -- when you have it figured, save the mask for future use as a pre-set for that lens, then play with contrast and brightness sliders to balance.
Yeah I haven't figured out the scientific cause but with my copy of the 25 Batis the IR Hotspot is noticeably worse when compared to a purer IR filter. It's possible that it's the lens coatings Zeiss uses because some of the Touits have IR issues as well. The 85 Batis is horrible though.

I generally prefer doing IR shots in IR590 for the amount of flexibility available to me using that wavelength over longer wavelengths. As a bonus I can get the same look essentially as any other filter and it only takes a 18% gray card to white balance instead of looking for live foliage.

My first attempt. 680nm filter on full-spectrum A6000 (purchased from Cindy...who has been incredibly helpful answering my stupid beginner questions!).

By the Lake - FE 16-35mm ƒ4 @ 23mm ƒ13

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mike, welcome to the fray! Whilst I eagerly await my full spectrum A7r to return, I could not resist playing with this image of yours -- hope you don't mind, and if you do I will delete it post-haste!

Simple R<>B channel swap, pump R channel afterward in curves slightly to the point cyan in tree bark neutralizes a bit, then added a skosh of vibrance to balance overall look.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
By playing with the individual curve color channels after the channel swap, you can significantly adjust the color of the leaves. Same with hue/sat tool on individual channels -- FWIW :)

kdphotography

I just got back from a week long+ whirlwind trip looping up through central Oregon to the Washington Palouse to Portland over to the coast and down to Carmel. I use a full spectrum A7r and 24-70 as my "p&s" and it works great. Filters are super quick and easy to change using the Xume filter system, using a Tamrac filter pouch on my belt, and room for a expodisc filter to set a wb shot before each filter change. Don Libby and I have dabbled a bit with IR flash capabilities, starting with the Quantum Qflash QF80. I've since made an IR adapter for the Profoto B1/B2, and this set-up worked exceptionally well on selected shots in Oregon. Blog post to follow (with all my free time :rolleyes:).

This one off the beaten path:Lost congregation WEB.jpg

ken