The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
thank you..its a small nikon i bought from kolari vision..to experiment with..now that i know what can be done ill get a bigger FF or APS-C camera at some point..probably canon
I have seen that little Nikon on Kolari's web site and been tempted by the idea of having it in my car, pocket or purse. Did you have to do a lot of post to get the files to look like this? Is noise a problem?

Satrycon

nope not a huge amount of post..i don't use PS, only lightroom, i setup a profile using the dng profile editor... results are much nicer and seem to have a wider "range" if one uses a not too bright and not too dull/dark green plant in the sun for the original WB...i realised shooting the right kind of green color [plant] really makes a difference.

the S1 is definitely not good for low light evening/night shots..very noisy at higher ISO..

ill probably get an a6300 at some point that should be good enough for most IR shots that id take, mainly in the street :)

"After the Rain" nikon S1 IR

I have seen that little Nikon on Kolari's web site and been tempted by the idea of having it in my car, pocket or purse. Did you have to do a lot of post to get the files to look like this? Is noise a problem?

Satrycon

Nikon 1 S1 IR 720nm

Sunrise in IR,, very nice details.

Sunrise in InfraRed..Stage01

Sunrise in InfraRed..Stage02

Sunrise in InfraRed..Stage03

Sunrise in InfraRed..Stage04

iiiNelson

Haven't posted anything in awhile. Here are some shots I took from last weekend from the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk last weekend. All with my A7R-FS and 35/1.4 Distagon + Kolari IR590 filter.

Photowalk IR by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-10 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-9 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-8 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-7 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-6 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-5 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-4 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-3 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

Photowalk IR-2 by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

f6cvalkyrie

A beautiful sunny day, today, so it was time for a walk in my neighbor's garden :) :)

Full spectrum Panasonic G1 with 720 nm external filter ...

C U,
Rafael

Hausen

Hi all, I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I am now going to order a A7II from KEH and get it sent to LP and get the SuperColour Mod. My question is I am a LE shooter and want to add IR, use A7rII plus Loxias, have looked most of this thread and haven't seen hotspot thoughts on the loxias, any thoughts?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Hi all, I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I am now going to order a A7II from KEH and get it sent to LP and get the SuperColour Mod. My question is I am a LE shooter and want to add IR, use A7rII plus Loxias, have looked most of this thread and haven't seen hotspot thoughts on the loxias, any thoughts?
I use a LifePixel A7II full spectrum. I know that the 16-35 FE that I had did not have bad hotspots, 24-240 FE does. I have been using Voigtlander 12 and 15 and Canon FD 20 and 24 without a problem, but have never tried Loxia's. Please report how the Loxia's work out.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

No idea how the Loxia's will fair with IR but the Batis' aren't great.

Hausen

Now that I have been looking into IR a add pops up on fb for Kolari Vision and it mentions a hot spot reducing coating on their conversions, has anyone used this, does it work?

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Now that I have been looking into IR a add pops up on fb for Kolari Vision and it mentions a hot spot reducing coating on their conversions, has anyone used this, does it work?
I have no experience because I sent my camera to LP just before the Kolari hot spot reducing filter became available. I heard from one person on a forum that I belong to (who had it put into A7II) that it was not perfect. I've read from another review that it does not get rid of a hot spot, but reduces the effect by one to two stops. By that they mean that if a hot spot would show up at f/8, then it would now not show up until f/16. Here is the reference: http://infraedd.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/kolaris-answer-to-hot-spot-issue_3.html