The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Those lists only exist because people report their findings, so please write in with any findings.

You will be very happy with the 590nm filter. (You probably know this, but others reading may not) you can add 665nm, 720nm, 830nm, etc. on the front of the lens to get other effects.

I can't wait till you post some photos!

Hausen

Those lists only exist because people report their findings, so please write in with any findings.

You will be very happy with the 590nm filter. (You probably know this, but others reading may not) you can add 665nm, 720nm, 830nm, etc. on the front of the lens to get other effects.

I can't wait till you post some photos!
Thanks Cindy, thats why I went the 590nm route. Also I am primarily a BNW guy and I think the OTT colour of the 590nm will be a welcome alternative to LE BNW. I am really looking forward to it arriving as well

Petrochemist

I shoot most of my IR with a full spectrum converted mirrorless camera. The EVF makes framing easy even with a visibly opaque filter on the lens & all focusing is via the sensor so now issues over focus shift. I play with a wide variety of filters :)

Crocuses by IR2 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Andrew Jordan - Infra red panning by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

wrabness P1020311 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

aP1040285 by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Infra red Photowalk by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Bee in infra red by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

and without filters too, where the IR can change the image significantly. (The teams uniforms match the cars paint in visible light)
Full Spectrum grid by Mike Kanssen, on Flickr

Mike

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Petro --

I really like your Crocuses (Croci?) shot :thumbs:

And welcome to the forum!

Hausen

Have been playing around with my recent purchase of Sony A7II, 590nm mod with HS coating from Kolari. This is one of my favourite places, Whatipu in Auckland. Lens is Zeiss 15 2.8ZF2. Have been playing with my Loxias 21mm and 50mm with good results as well.

Attachments

tcdeveau

Here's one from Cloudland Canyon in NW Georgia this fall. FS A7R, 55mm FE1.8, 720nm filter. Processing in Silver Efex 2.
DSC05450-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

Shashin

Fuji Xpro 2, 23mm f/2, and B+W 093 IR filter (830nm cut on (if you want to shoot IR...). The color is straight from the unconverted camera after WB in post.

And in real life...

And obviously not from Maine--if you want to shoot chlorophyll up here, you need to go to the local produce department.

Hausen

Summer holiday season here in New Zealand. One of my favourite parts of the country is the Aoraki-Mt Cook area. Mt Cook is New Zealand's highest mountain and the whole area is just gorgeous with the sSouthern Alps and the most amazing blue/aqua lakes. This is pic is from a popular track, The Hooker Valley Track, this is at the top and Mt Cook is the peak in the distance. Sony A7II Zeiss 15 2.8Zf.2 590nm.

Attachments

tcdeveau

No idea how the Loxia's will fair with IR but the Batis' aren't great.
Since some people are asking about Loxia's, I tested the Loxia 21mm with 720nm and 830nm IR on my full spectrum A7R and didn't notice any huge issues (other than vignetting, which was pretty heavy esp at 830nm). Can't speak for any of the other Loxia's though. Here's a straight out of the camera jpeg (f 6.3, 25 sec, ISO 640):

DSC05316.jpg

tcdeveau

Sweetwater Creek State Park in Georgia from a hike this afternoon. 3 image handheld stitch, full-spectrum A7R, 55mm fe1.8, 720nm filter, 1/2000, f/6.7, ISO 640.

sweetwater creek-Edit.jpg