The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Capturing Infrared"

scho

Test images taken with the Kolari IRChrome filter on the Canon EOS R FS. I expected OOC images with predominantly red vegetation hue, but they were mostly orange. Requires a bit of HSL adjustment to get anywhere near the adverised look. I created a custom in camera white balance using shot of an 18% gray card.

scho

One more with the Canon EOS R (FS) and Kolari IRChrome filter. Custom white balance in camera using 18% gray card. These are SOOC colors with no hue adjustments. Focus was on the robin.

scho

The infrared reflecting glass in the windows of this building created a surreal landscape mural. Canon EOS R (FS) RF24-105 L Kolari IRChrome filter.

scho

A warm/neutral splittone conversion of a full spectrum Canon EOS R RF35/1.8 + Kolari IRChrome filter shot

The original color version:

Audii-Dudii

Although there is very little naturally occurring infrared light available at night, there is often a surprising amount of infrared light from man-made sources bouncing around.

As a result, it turns out that, to my surprise, taking IR photos at night is absolutely possible, often with very interesting results.

Such as these, all of which were taken using Hoya R72 filters screwed onto various C/Y lenses in combination with a DIY-converted full-spectrum Samsung NX500 mounted on one of my FrankenKameras:

Of course, I also enjoy doing IR photography during the daytime as well, especially of the handheld variety as I walk around with my dog at midday, with its harsh, Arizona summer sunshine. All of these photos were taken using a Hoya R72 filter screwed onto a Contax N 24-85 zoom in combination with the same DIY-converted NX500 I used for the nighttime photos, then subsequently converted to B&W during post-processing:

P.S.: To my surprise, almost without exception, all of my vintage C/Y lenses, as well as my Contax N lenses, work very, very well for IR photography in combination with my modified NX500 and a Hoya R72 filter. I can't speak to whether they will work equally as well when used with other camera bodies or different IR filters or focused at different distances or using apertures other than f5.6 and f8 (my usual choices), but they're priced right, not to mention compact and lightweight ... a win-win all around! :D

And as a final bonus, here's a five-panel pano I took handheld using the above CN 24-85/NX500 combo and then stitched together using Photomerge in Photoshop CS6:

scho

Another image taken on the Ithaca College campus with the Canon EOS R (FS) RF35/1.8+Kolari IRChrome filter. B&W conversion in LR and tonal values adjusted with the hue/saturation/luminance color sliders.

ggibson

I recently converted a Sigma DP1m to full spectrum. I have been experimenting with the full spectrum results and a few filters for various looks. The full spectrum images have the old Kodak Aerochrome look to them with red foliage and blue skies straight out of camera (using a custom WB). Here is an album and a few of my favorites so far:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157715236202693

Full spectrum with polarizing filter (for darker skies, reduce reflections):

Winding path by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Lafayette Reservoir Dock by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

Stream and filtered light by Graham Gibson, on Flickr

ggibson

Mimicking the yellow vegetation of the bayer sensor channel swap on a foveon sensor is quite different. Using a Hoya Red 25A filter limits the range of colors while still retaining some separation in the foliage to achieve results like below. I don't have a consistent process nailed down yet. While the aerochrome reds I posted above are pretty close to the image on the live view screen, using a red filter makes everything look completely red so it requires some creative visualization. I like the result though, what do you think?

Lion in Gold by Graham Gibson, on Flickr