The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it possible to replicate the look of classic Polaroids using digital?

Irenaeus

I'm wanting to mix and match some new photos with some old. What I'm starting out with are thirty five year Polaroids, types 52, 667 and SX70, of our children when they were young. What I want to do is to display new photos of our grandchildren side by side with those of their parents. I'd print them at the same size and shape as the original Polaroids and am asking if I can also approximate the "look" of those originals, too.

I'd be willing to rent something new for the project if any particular cameras would lend themselves more readily to it (though I would require autofocus.) Ditto re buying special software if necessary.

I'd be more than grateful for advice and help from this neat virtual community.

Thanks and all the best,

Irenaeus

Shashin

Have you tried Instagram filters or other digital filters. You really cannot replicate one process with another, but if you can use a digital filter on the new images and processes the scanned Polaroids to match you may be able to get the two sets close enough.

Irenaeus

No, I haven't, Shashin. I've been a bit slow about that sort of post processing, but perhaps this project will nudge me further into it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Irenaeus

k-hawinkler

Nik is a great suggestion, also for noise reduction and sharpening.
One can use it as a standalone app or from LR and PS which I prefer.
After Google bought it its price became affordable.
Good luck to your project.

pingu666

Buy a instax or Polaroid camera and some film, and do it properly.
I've yet to meet a kid that doesn't fall instantly in love with instant film. Its magic. A digitally manipulated print just isn't the same.

Irenaeus

Buy a instax or Polaroid camera and some film, and do it properly.
I've yet to meet a kid that doesn't fall instantly in love with instant film. Its magic. A digitally manipulated print just isn't the same.
Thanks so very much to all of you for your great suggestions. I appreciate the people on this site more and more every time I log on!

I do have a few old Polaroid cameras, pingu666, and have thought a lot about what you suggest, but my subjects are half a continent away and I intend to travel light. The Instax might work as far as carrying it is concerned, but what I want to do for this particular project is to mix and match the new stuff with some treasured older polaroids, and so would prefer image sizes to match, too. For that, the Instax output seems too small (but if I got REAL keepers I'd probably forget all that and just mat it out with the others at 8 x 10!)

For the immediate project I'll plan on working with digital capture and Nik post and let y'all know asap (which, at my new normal speed, might take a while...) how it all turns out. But OTOH, do you think I might actually run across one of those fun little instax things in Florida? :D

Cheers and all the best,

Irenaeus

kxl

BEFORE NIK Polaroid transfer filter

AFTER NIK Polaroid transfer filter (the border is an option within the filter)