The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 6x7 45mm on Leica S, via Zörk adapter

Manolo Laguillo

Hi,

this is my 1st post in this forum! I am happy to be here, so I can share with everybody my enthusiasm for photography!

May I introduce myself. I am a spanish photographer, mostly interested in cityscape and architecture. I do teach since many years ago as well.
I have worked with everything, from 4x5 and 8x10 (Sinar, Wista, Toyo, Arca-Swiss), back in the late 70's, to 5D, Leica M8, M9, M(240), MM, with Cambo Wide and Silvestri in between.

Now I work mainly with the MM and the 28 PC Super-Angulon.

But... I found this opportunity of a Leica S (006) at a very good price, and I could not resist, knowing that it would be a way of using shift wide angle lenses with this beautiful camera, in absence of a Leica shift wide angle lens.

And actually there is a way: the Zörk adapter (plus / minus 20 mm) in conjunction with the 6x7 45 mm Pentax lens. I know, a 35 mm would be better, but that is not possible...

And now my question: has anybody of you experience with this rig?

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Manolo

Stuart Richardson

Hi Manolo,
Welcome to the forum and sorry for the delay in responding. I think you might try posting this again in the Leica forum, or asking it to be moved, as I don't think as many people are using the alternative forum...

In regards to your question, I have not used your particular setup. I have not found that adapted lenses work all that well on the S though...I think the camera is quite demanding of lenses.
In an experiment, I bought a Sinar to Hasselblad V mount adapter, and I used my own V to S adapter. Together, it allowed me to mount my S to my view camera. The first problem was trying to get the lenses close enough to the camera to allow for focusing and movements. In my setup, I could not get my 110mm Super Symmar quite close enough. It might be possible with a recessed lens board or a less makeshift adapter. I did try with my 210mm Apo Symmar and a few other lenses I borrowed, and while they shifting and movements all worked well, the lenses rendered fairly softly...it seems that while they were lovely on film, they are not quite up to the task of digital. Instead, I have found that for my work, at least, shifting the entire body to stitch is probably more effective.
I had a similar experience with Hasselblad V lenses...they just were not up to the standard of the S lenses, so I wound up just waiting and adding the S version. In this case, there is no S version, so apart from getting the Sinar pMF-L (Sinar Photography » p MF-L @en) and putting a high end digital lens on it, I would think your solution would probably be best! Pentax makes some quite good lenses, though I am not sure how this one in particular performs. Do you have any samples taken with it to share?

tsjanik

Manolo:

I have used a Zoerk adapter and the Pentax 67 45mm (but not together). The Zoerk is well made and the 67 45mm is an excellent lens. Try it, it won't be very expensive. I have used the 45mm on a 645D and it's very good, but I have other alternatives. An old example, with crop, taken with a 67 on Provia, handheld:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_MuCFC81kV7o/TFw0lonH5_I/AAAAAAAAWtI/wZywyiuT7kE/s1600/US90.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MuCFC81kV7o/TFw0smDSb1I/AAAAAAAAWtQ/xLRG6tbMe0I/s1600/crop.jpg

Manolo Laguillo

Thank you very much, Stuart and tsjanik, for your answers! :)

In my experience, lenses for large format film render not as good as lenses made for medium format film. The size differences compensate that gap, though...

In a few days the Zoerk adapter will arrive, and the 45 mm Pentax 6x7 lens too. The lens was cheap, the adapter not, so let's hope it will be feasible. I will tell about my experiments with this combination on the Leica S on time.

This is a question to the admin: Could this thread be moved to the Leica corner? Perhaps there it would have more visibility.

Again, thank you!

Manolo Laguillo

thank you for the advice, daf
thank you for the example, bensonga
both items are in its way, in a couple of days they will be here.
I will report about them.