The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Enlarging lens - Rodenstock APO-Rodagon D 75mm and 120mm

kimyeesan

I have just recently ventured into Cambo Actus and Sony A7R2 to used with Enlarging lens and landscape/architecture photography (Lots of Infinity Focus and Shifting for perspective correction)
I notice that the APO Rodagon D 75mm is not very good at doing infinity focus as only the centre of the shots will be in focus and the edge is very blurred and has pretty shocking Chroma.

I am wondering will the APO Rodagon D 120mm perform the same on the A7R2 as it is a Duplication lens as well.

Please advice.

Hi. The 120 will likely perform the same. However, the APO-Rodagon-N 105 is excellent at infinity by f/8 and very usable at lower apertures closer than about four meters. And the IC is so large, you'll get a nice, evenly bright shot even when stitching a full pano. I recommend using a UV filter and a hood. That's where things get tricky because you need to treat it like a wide angle to avoid any interference. I use a B+W slim UV filter and a 40.5 to 58mm step up ring to attach it to a Lee filter system WA bellows-style hood. It looks goofy, but its one of my favorite lenses on the Actus.

The APO-Rodagon-N 50 is also excellent at infinity. It's got a 65mm IC at infinity and about 60mm of it is tack sharp, so there is some limited room for movement there.

kimyeesan

Hi. The 120 will likely perform the same. However, the APO-Rodagon-N 105 is excellent at infinity by f/8 and very usable at lower apertures closer than about four meters. And the IC is so large, you'll get a nice, evenly bright shot even when stitching a full pano. I recommend using a UV filter and a hood. That's where things get tricky because you need to treat it like a wide angle to avoid any interference. I use a B+W slim UV filter and a 40.5 to 58mm step up ring to attach it to a Lee filter system WA bellows-style hood. It looks goofy, but its one of my favorite lenses on the Actus.

The APO-Rodagon-N 50 is also excellent at infinity. It's got a 65mm IC at infinity and about 60mm of it is tack sharp, so there is some limited room for movement there.
Thanks. I have purchased the Rodagon D 120mm. It does have the same characteristic as the 75mm, the only difference is that the IC is huge!!! And on the Actus, even at full shift (20mm left right) I am still within the sweet zone of the image. I will do further testing on further subject once the damn sky clear up in Shanghai.

- - - Updated - - -

The APO Rodagon 50 and 80 is my favorite so far, but yes, I ill try and look for the 105.