The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking of getting a full spectrum IR conversion

kxl

Background: My primary gear consists of D800e's and a slew of AFS and some manual focus lenses.

My 'alt' gear consists of a Sony A7R (with thin filter modification) that I shoot with adapted M-mount lenses and a NEX-3 converted to 665nm that I shoot primarily with the Sony 16-50mm kit lens. In addition to these two bodies, I also pack a Zeiss ZI body.

What I'd like is an e-mount (or FE mount) body with a viewfinder with a full spectrum IR conversion. I'm thinking of either A) getting my A7R converted to full spectrum or B) buying a NEX6 or A6000 for full spectrum conversion. I intend to use the converted body for IR as well as 'normal' images.

My conundrum:

Option A) Having the A7r converted would allow me to carry only one body for IR and 'normal' images. Obviously, I'd have to buy a hot mirror filter, but I won't have to spend more money for a new body.

• What is the IQ like with a mirror filter compared to a non-converted body?
  • Is focus peaking (with my M-mount lenses) tougher with a full spectrum converted body?
OPTION B) I'll have a dedicate body for IR and for sometime use for normal images. Downside is I'll have to buy another body.

I'm especially interested in hearing fro those who have the full spectrum conversion.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited:

scho

Background: My primary gear consists of D800e's and a slew of AFS and some manual focus lenses.

My 'alt' gear consists of a Sony A7R (with thin filter modification) that I shoot with adapted M-mount lenses and a NEX-3 converted to 665nm that I shoot primarily with the Sony 16-50mm kit lens. In addition to these two bodies, I also pack a Zeiss ZI body.

What I'd like is an e-mount (or FE mount) body with a viewfinder with a full spectrum IR conversion. I'm thinking of either A) getting my A7R converted to full spectrum or B) buying a NEX6 or A6000 for full spectrum conversion. I intend to use the converted body for IR as well as 'normal' images.

My conundrum:

Option A) Having the A7r converted would allow me to carry only one body for IR and 'normal' images. Obviously, I'd have to buy a hot mirror filter, but I won't have to spend more money for a new body.

• What is the IQ like with a mirror filter compared to a non-converted body?
  • Is focus peaking (with my M-mount lenses) tougher with a full spectrum converted body?
OPTION B) I'll have a dedicate body for IR and for sometime use for normal images. Downside is I'll have to buy another body.

I'm especially interested in hearing fro those who have the full spectrum conversion.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
I have an A7R that was converted to full spectrum by LifePixel. When shooting with a Kolari CC filter (hot mirror+UV cut) I see no difference to images shot prior to conversion. Conversion has no effect on focus peaking. See my post in the IR thread for examples.

Don Libby

One of the really great things about shooting a converted A7r and I would guess just about any mirrorless camera is you are seeing exactly what the sensor sees; that and there’s no problem with focusing various lenses.

I’ve converted numerous cameras, from a 1DsII to my currentA7r. My current conversion is full spectrum which has worked out very well. FS allows a much broader range of infrared photography just by attaching various filters.

And to answer your main 2-questions….

The IQ using a hot mirror is on par with a non-converted camera as compared with my wife’s a7r and current a7r II.

Focus peaking on an A7r using a manual lens has never been an issue for me (I’m using a Voigtlander 15mm and Mitakon Speedmaster 50mmalong with a FE24-70).

My main camera is medium format and I use the Sony as my IR camera; however there are times that I require color and using a Kolari CC filter more than satisfies the need.