The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca flip lock and RRS plates

giulioz

I would like to get the Arca Swiss D4 geared head with flip lock but some vendors warn that is not compatible with non-Arca plates and that any malfunction would void the warranty. I would like to use it with my RRS plates and I really don't like the screw knob version. Are the RRS plates not really matching the head or Arca just wants to sell its own plates?

Thank you, Giulio

Godfrey

I would like to get the Arca Swiss D4 geared head with flip lock but some vendors warn that is not compatible with non-Arca plates and that any malfunction would void the warranty. I would like to use it with my RRS plates and I really don't like the screw knob version. Are the RRS plates not really matching the head or Arca just wants to sell its own plates?

Thank you, Giulio
I've found only a couple of minor incompatibilities between various manufacturers' clamps and plates. In all cases, the issue I found was that some manufacturers' plates are a very small bit thinner than the Arca-Swiss spec calls for so that the RRS lever release clamp or A-S flip-lock clamp would not completely secure the plate from movement. And in all cases, gluing a thin piece or paper or attaching a piece of thick tape to the bottom of the plate solved the problem.

(The worst fit I found has been the Novoflex tripod mounts for A-S clamps, which needed a piece of 300gsm paper cut to the shape of the plate and glued on.)

I've never had any problem that required a warranty complaint to handle so I don't know about warranty on issues. These are very simple mechanisms and easy to vet that they're working properly so as not to cause damage to cameras and such.

G

MILESF

The Quckset Fliplock has a small knurled screw that can be used to adjust the width of the 'jaws' that clamp the L plate on the camera. If this is unscrewed too far then the whole assembly (lever, sprin, washer and pin) can fall out, get lost in the undergrowth and leave a very unhappy user with no working tripod. My understanding is that A-S had so many warranty claims from people to whom this had happened that they said that the warranty on their Fliplock Quickset heads are not covered if they are used with camera plates other than their own.

Provided that you are careful, there really should not be a problem. Certainly, with RRS plates the adjustment needed is small and does not pose a problem provided you are careful with the adjustment. However my experience is only with A-S, RRS and Fuji XT1/XPro2. I also put a small piece of Dymo tape on the side of the device marked 'T-L' to remind myself the direction to turn the screw to Tighten or Loosen the jaws. I need to make only small adjustments between my A-S camera and my camera that has an RRS L Plate. I seldom use the Fuji on a tripod.

Just to be on the safe side I do carry a spare assembly. These are available at a reasonable cost and weigh very little.

I am very happy with the Quickset Fliplock and recently bought a new tripod head and specified Quickset Fliplock and does not protrude unduly from the head. When folded away the lever lies flush alongside the body of the head. It needs two clicks to close and two separate actions to release the camera. When correctly adjusted I have found it very reliable.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Many years ago I suggested to Rod Klukas, the US Arca Swiss representative, that the single most useful thing at A-S could do would be to engrave a +/- on the flip lock head for the adjuster!! You typically only ever explode one of the A-S locks once out in the field before you remember but it isn't an experience you want.

Btw, a little off topic but I've found the Acratech quick release clamps to be superb. They encompass the benefits of the simple RRS lever along with the two position trigger lock and simpler adjustability than the Arca flip lock. All my Arca heads have the flip locks for now (and TBH I'm happy with them) but I have been tempted to swap them over to the Acratech clamps.

Purchase Quick Release Clamps - Arca style

Btw, also Rod has a doc about how to adjust the fliplock too. Very important to adjust the tension of the plate with the lock half open. How do I know?? :facesmack: Something else you also typically do wrong once.
http://rodklukas.com/resources/Arca-Swiss_Fliplock-Adjustment.pdf

Last edited:

giulioz

All my Arca heads have the flip locks for now (and TBH I'm happy with them) but I have been tempted to swap them over to the Acratech clamps.

Purchase Quick Release Clamps - Arca style

Btw, also Rod has a doc about how to adjust the fliplock too. Very important to adjust the tension of the plate with the lock half open. How do I know?? :facesmack: Something else you also typically do wrong once.
http://rodklukas.com/resources/Arca-Swiss_Fliplock-Adjustment.pdf
Many thanks Graham, the instructions on how to adjust the tension of the flip lock are great! I have also considered replacing the clamp with a RRS one but I understand that you can't anymore replace the clamp in the A-S heads.

vjbelle

Many thanks Graham, the instructions on how to adjust the tension of the flip lock are great! I have also considered replacing the clamp with a RRS one but I understand that you can't anymore replace the clamp in the A-S heads.
You can replace the clamp on Arca Swiss heads. I have a cube which had the mounting bolt secured with locktite and carefully applied heat from a blow torch and out it came. I had originally ordered the Cube with the universal quick release (screw type) but became unhappy with it as it is too small and difficult to impossible with gloves. I now have my flip lock on the cube...... much happier.

Just slightly off topic but rails such as the rail for an Actus are not as wide as either RRS or Arca Swiss plates and will only work with certain clamps. Acra Tech being one and Arca Swiss being the other, that I know of. I have a screw type RRS clamp that will just, and I mean just barely tighten the Actus rail..... but its so close to the end of its closing ability that I wouldn't trust it in the field.

Victor