The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony/Zony lenses and IR

V

Vivek

In general, those AF lenses for E mount are quite mediocre. If you really want the best out of your IR converted camera, try a manual focus lens. I find at least 2 stops better IR transmission though the contrast may be less (I prefer that) compared to the Sony/Zony lenses.

FWIW, YMMV, etc. :)

tcdeveau

In general, those AF lenses for E mount are quite mediocre. If you really want the best out of your IR converted camera, try a manual focus lens. I find at least 2 stops better IR transmission though the contrast may be less (I prefer that) compared to the Sony/Zony lenses.

FWIW, YMMV, etc. :)
There are several databases out there characterizing IR performance with various lenses (such as http://infraedd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/lenses.html and https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/), but those usually focus on hot spots. Any particular lenses you find have better IR transmission? That could be an important observation for those using deeper infrared, such as 830nm, which generally requires more light and longer shutter speeds than 720nm.

Regarding E mount AF lenses, the exception would be the 55mm 1.8. It's been my most used IR lens and performs great with 720 and 830nm filters on my full-spectrum A7R. I haven't observed any issues with the Batis 18mm either when shooting full-spectrum at least (can't comment on IR as I don't have any 77mm IR filters at the moment) and the Loxia 21mm wasn't bad either.

iiiNelson

There are several databases out there characterizing IR performance with various lenses (such as http://infraedd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/lenses.html and https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/), but those usually focus on hot spots. Any particular lenses you find have better IR transmission? That could be an important observation for those using deeper infrared, such as 830nm, which generally requires more light and longer shutter speeds than 720nm.

Regarding E mount AF lenses, the exception would be the 55mm 1.8. It's been my most used IR lens and performs great with 720 and 830nm filters on my full-spectrum A7R. I haven't observed any issues with the Batis 18mm either when shooting full-spectrum at least (can't comment on IR as I don't have any 77mm IR filters at the moment) and the Loxia 21mm wasn't bad either.
I haven't had any issues with Sony or Sony Zeiss lenses that I own or have used. The 25 Batis isn't terrible wide open but I generally don't think the official Zeiss lens coating treatments work well for IR.

V

Vivek

Any particular lenses you find have better IR transmission? .
Todd, instead of trying one E mount lens vs another and try to figure out the least of the evils, go outside these and compare with an old manual lens (OM, Nikon F, etc) to find out for yourself if there is better transmission.

tcdeveau

Todd, instead of trying one E mount lens vs another and try to figure out the least of the evils, go outside these and compare with an old manual lens (OM, Nikon F, etc) to find out for yourself if there is better transmission.
Hi Vivek,
I do not own any old manual lenses and have no interest in comparisons. You said you had found 2 stops better light transmission. I wasn't questioning your findings and I apologize if I came off that way, I was just asking if you could share some lenses you like using for the benefit of the forum. If you don't want to that's ok,
-Todd

V

Vivek

Sure, no worries. The Nikon 28/3.5, Tamron Adaptamatic 21/4.5 (FF); KaXinda 35/1.7, 50/2.4. (APS-C), for example. There are many more.

The coatings on the E/FE lens glass could be the problem, i think.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I mostly use manual focus adapted lenses on my full-spectrum A7II, but I do like the Sony 28 f/2 and 55 f/1.8 lenses for infrared.