Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

  1. #1
    Vivek
    Guest

    Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    In general, those AF lenses for E mount are quite mediocre. If you really want the best out of your IR converted camera, try a manual focus lens. I find at least 2 stops better IR transmission though the contrast may be less (I prefer that) compared to the Sony/Zony lenses.

    FWIW, YMMV, etc.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    In general, those AF lenses for E mount are quite mediocre. If you really want the best out of your IR converted camera, try a manual focus lens. I find at least 2 stops better IR transmission though the contrast may be less (I prefer that) compared to the Sony/Zony lenses.

    FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    There are several databases out there characterizing IR performance with various lenses (such as http://infraedd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/lenses.html and https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/), but those usually focus on hot spots. Any particular lenses you find have better IR transmission? That could be an important observation for those using deeper infrared, such as 830nm, which generally requires more light and longer shutter speeds than 720nm.

    Regarding E mount AF lenses, the exception would be the 55mm 1.8. It's been my most used IR lens and performs great with 720 and 830nm filters on my full-spectrum A7R. I haven't observed any issues with the Batis 18mm either when shooting full-spectrum at least (can't comment on IR as I don't have any 77mm IR filters at the moment) and the Loxia 21mm wasn't bad either.

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    4,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    There are several databases out there characterizing IR performance with various lenses (such as http://infraedd.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/lenses.html and https://kolarivision.com/articles/lens-hotspot-list/), but those usually focus on hot spots. Any particular lenses you find have better IR transmission? That could be an important observation for those using deeper infrared, such as 830nm, which generally requires more light and longer shutter speeds than 720nm.

    Regarding E mount AF lenses, the exception would be the 55mm 1.8. It's been my most used IR lens and performs great with 720 and 830nm filters on my full-spectrum A7R. I haven't observed any issues with the Batis 18mm either when shooting full-spectrum at least (can't comment on IR as I don't have any 77mm IR filters at the moment) and the Loxia 21mm wasn't bad either.
    I haven't had any issues with Sony or Sony Zeiss lenses that I own or have used. The 25 Batis isn't terrible wide open but I generally don't think the official Zeiss lens coating treatments work well for IR.
    Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  4. #4
    Vivek
    Guest

    Re: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    Any particular lenses you find have better IR transmission? .
    Todd, instead of trying one E mount lens vs another and try to figure out the least of the evils, go outside these and compare with an old manual lens (OM, Nikon F, etc) to find out for yourself if there is better transmission.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Todd, instead of trying one E mount lens vs another and try to figure out the least of the evils, go outside these and compare with an old manual lens (OM, Nikon F, etc) to find out for yourself if there is better transmission.
    Hi Vivek,
    I do not own any old manual lenses and have no interest in comparisons. You said you had found 2 stops better light transmission. I wasn't questioning your findings and I apologize if I came off that way, I was just asking if you could share some lenses you like using for the benefit of the forum. If you don't want to that's ok,
    -Todd

  6. #6
    Vivek
    Guest

    Re: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    Sure, no worries. The Nikon 28/3.5, Tamron Adaptamatic 21/4.5 (FF); KaXinda 35/1.7, 50/2.4. (APS-C), for example. There are many more.

    The coatings on the E/FE lens glass could be the problem, i think.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator Cindy Flood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    118

    Re: Sony/Zony lenses and IR

    I mostly use manual focus adapted lenses on my full-spectrum A7II, but I do like the Sony 28 f/2 and 55 f/1.8 lenses for infrared.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •