Site Sponsors

Thread: Best alternative to 35mm Pentax 645 A using Mirex on A7rii?

Post Thanks / Like

Best alternative to 35mm Pentax 645 A using Mirex on A7rii?

Can anyone recommend a better lens (distortion, CA and *usable* image circle) than the 35mm Pentax 645 A for use with a Mirex adapter and A7rii?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best alternative to 35mm Pentax 645 A using Mirex on A7rii?

+1
    From what I have heard anecdotally the Contax 35mm lenses (FX shift and 645) are very good. And there is a Hartblei superrotator 35mm available on Ebay. I too am very interested in responses to this query. I would love to get a 30-35mm lens for shift work on my A7R2. It is the gap between 24mm and 50mm that I use the most in 4x5 and need to replicate in full frame. I had heard that the Pentax 35mm was pretty good, are you dissatisfied?

-Schaf

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone tell me about the aperture control on the 35mm Contax 645 Distagon 3.5.
    It appears that the aperture is electronic. I see that there is an aperture ring on the lens but does this stop down the lens or is there a stop-down lever like on the 40mm Hasselblad T* Distagon? I'd like to use on a dumb shift adapter.

Thanks

-Schaf

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No stop down lever on mine. Aperture ring, yes, but only electronic contacts on the mount. When I use it on the Leica S, I set the aperture ring wide open and then set the real aperture on the camera and it works.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    No stop down lever on mine. Aperture ring, yes, but only electronic contacts on the mount. When I use it on the Leica S, I set the aperture ring wide open and then set the real aperture on the camera and it works.

Matt
    Yes I'm not sure having a Contax 645 body around to change the aperture is going to be realistic. I need to find out how to stop down to f8 or f11 on a dumb adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found anything better at 35mm than the SMC Pentax-A 645 f/3.5 lens. I used it on a Sony A7R with dual Mirex adapters. I'm currently using it on a Fuji GFX 50R with a custom mount for my Toyo VX23D. Some people like the FA version. I tested one copy side-by-side against my A version, and found that while the centre was a touch sharper, the edges were a touch softer. So for the lighter weight, smaller filter size and lower cost I chose the A version.

There's also an upgraded DA version that is supposedly improved a bit optically and in coatings. Unlike many other DA lenses it retains the aperture ring, so you can definitely use it on a Mirex adapter. I have not tried this one.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rdeloe View Post
    I haven't found anything better at 35mm than the SMC Pentax-A 645 f/3.5 lens. I used it on a Sony A7R with dual Mirex adapters. I'm currently using it on a Fuji GFX 50R with a custom mount for my Toyo VX23D. Some people like the FA version. I tested one copy side-by-side against my A version, and found that while the centre was a touch sharper, the edges were a touch softer. So for the lighter weight, smaller filter size and lower cost I chose the A version.

There's also an upgraded DA version that is supposedly improved a bit optically and in coatings. Unlike many other DA lenses it retains the aperture ring, so you can definitely use it on a Mirex adapter. I have not tried this one.
    I'm also using the Pentax A-35/3.5 with my Fuji GFX 50R and the Cambo Actus G. Very nice setup for landscapes. Used to have the DFA version as well, but sold it with my 645Z. I could never see much difference in image quality between the two lenses.
    Carl
    Gallery