The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Scale (mm) and centering on Arca Swiss Universalis

NoBob

Hi,

Could someone explain the relationship between the rise and fall scale (mm), centering the lens and sensor/film plane on the Universalis, please? I had a chance to look one over the other day, but could not work out how they relate to each other.

Thanks.

RodK

Hi,

Could someone explain the relationship between the rise and fall scale (mm), centering the lens and sensor/film plane on the Universalis, please? I had a chance to look one over the other day, but could not work out how they relate to each other.

Thanks.
Centering a DSLR/ Mirrorless body on the Arca-Swiss Universalis body

The Universalis is a modular design that works with DSLR and mirrorless cameras (with the possibility of using many different camera designs and sizes) like Nikon, Canon, Leica, Sony, Fuji GFX, plus medium format film and digital backs, and 4X5 film. Because of this modularity, it is impossible for the factory to know what camera or film/digital back the user might be mounting on the rear. Hence, one zeroed position won't work for all these choices.

So, some alignment is required by the user on the first setup and neutral or zero settings need to be marked on the index scales by the user. Do this once and you are set for future use with the same camera.

Mount your DSLR or mirrorless camera (with it's body cap)on the Universalis. Remove the bellows and lens board/lens from the front frame. Rack the rear focus until the body cap gets close to the opening of the front frame. Use rise/fall on the rear to center your camera's body cap into the opening top to bottom in the front frame. If the camera isn't quite centered left or right, unlock the camera QR mount and slide the camera on it's L-bracket left or right until centered. Relock the quick release.

I use a Brother label maker to make a black line on a white gloss label. I cut the label in half to mark the zeroed rise position opposite the labeled rise/fall index mark on the rise scale. For the L-bracket left/right centered position I make another label -- one for the L-bracket and one for the quick release camera mount on Universalis and match them up to mark the centered position.

There are various ways to get even more precisely on center. Your eye level needs to be opposite the lens board opening. Make an X with string taped to the corners of the front frame to mark the lens board center, measure the camera's body cap to find it's center, etc.

For quick centering here, I also use one of our R-Bayonet lens boards. It is almost the same size as a DSLR body cap and the front and rear standards can be moved together to the point of protruding the DSLR body cap into the R bayonet opening. A number 3 110x110 lens boards may also work well.

Different bodies will have different centering marks, so you may have to repeat if you have different platforms/cameras for capture.

Once done and marked it will be very convenient to use. You may need a different index mark for vertical and horizontal so mark them appropriately.

Hope this helps.
Rod