The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Negative diopter thread-in lenses...?

Godfrey

I'm working on a project and have come into a bit of an issue. I am working on a custom back for my Hasselblad V but cannot seem to get the imaging plane close enough to the proper film plane registration distance by a couple of mm. My thought was that a +diopter accessory lens (a close-up lens) "pulls" the nodal point forwards, away from the imaging plane and towards the lens, which is what permits a lens to focus more closely with the standard focusing helicoid; +diopter lenses are typically plano-convex or double-convex. Would a -diopter accessory lens (a plano-concave or double-concave lens) "push" the nodal point in the other direction and allow focusing past infinity with the standard focusing helicoid?

If so, where could I get such lenses in the thin, large diameter sizes necessary to fit a filter mount?

Obviously, the best thing to do is to get this custom back's registration down to the right dimension, but if it turns out that isn't possible I need to shift the infinity focus imaging plane somehow.

Thanks for any ideas! :D

"Laws of physics be damned, just do what I want, beastly things!"