The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One camera, one prime lens

MartinN

I still make photos with my Olympus E-1, which was new in 2003 and I acquired in 2007. It still makes superb photographs.

So it's a matter of perspective: How long is a particular camera viable for your use? "Old" film cameras go out of use through needing too much (expensive) service, or for lack of film, or for being more work to deal with than you can put into film processing and rendering. Old digital cameras go out of use usually because you might want the advantages/improved performance/etc of a newer model; few that are not mistreated ever actually break or wear out.

If you're happy with the results you get from any camera, with a little care in handling nearly all of them can last forever ... Unless you're doing something with them that implies extensive wear to the limits of their mechanical parts.

G
I have a Pentax K 10 and K100 and K 5 and they get occasional use. Still, 6MP is not so much and a 'bit' more is good. I have the Phase One P20 as a point and shoot snapshooter but probably the P25 would be more future proof. Can't make up which camera would be the 'one' but Mamiya RZ with 110 lens would be a lot easier to carry than a Fuji GX680 but the Fuji gives all movements. Tough decision :D

iiiNelson

If we are talking film then I’d choose the Mamiya C330 With the 80/2.8 or 65/2.8 if we have to choose from stuff we own.

If in general I’d either choose the newest Rolleiflex or a Hasselblad XPan II and 45mm lens.

pegelli

If we're talking stuff we own:

Film: M2 + Voigtländer 35/1.2 II

Digital: A7Rii + Voigtländer 35/1.2 II

So if push comes to shove I can do both film and digital with just two bodies and one lens (and a body cap to keep the dust out)

Shashin

Ir really depends on the camera. For the ones I (have) own(ed):

Mamiya 6 and 75mm
Horseman SW612 and 55mm Grandagon
Wista VX 4x5 with a 135mm
Pentax 645D and 55mm
Fuji X Pro 2 and 23mm
Fuji XF10 and 18.5mm (not that there is a choice for a lens there)

With the exception of the Horseman and XF10, my lens of choice is a normal or slightly wider. I think I prefer normal apparent perspective in my work. Going really long or wide, tends to emphasize the unreality of photography rather than reflect the human perception/experience of something. I find that framing/composition can be enough to give variety to images from a single focal length by changing the perspective of particular scenes. It is not what you have...