Anyone else interested in video?

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

Here are my attempts:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7567310...7623071346935/

I have a little larning to do

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Great Camera Shootout 2010

Well I finally got to see part I of the comparison. The website was overloaded for most of the day. The best of the videos was filmed by Kodak 5217 film, the dSLRs blew highlights that the film picked-up. Film had 13 steps of range while the best of the dSLRs had only 11. The GH-1 was last with 9.

The Canon 5D was best in lowlight and the 7D had a good showing. The D3s was behind those two. I also didn't like the 1D MkIV

Post Thanks / Like

I think one basic objective of the tests in part 1. was to see how the various digital cameras actually compared (better or worse) to each other and to film cameras on a one-to-one basis in a series of controlled tests (using the same Zeiss lenses on all the cameras). What I got out of Part 1. was that while the industry pros generally agreed that film certainly had the most latitude and range, and certainly was easier to grade, (none of which should be any great revelation), it was interesting to hear them state that some of the digital cameras (especially the 5D2) actually held their own surprisingly well when compared to film. It is a matter of knowing what the strengths and weaknesses are when using VDLSR's, (they all blew out highlights), setting up the camera properly, and then planning your shots and lighting accordingly. What was particularly interesting was the statement made by Shane Hurlbut, ASC, to the effect that he believed that the RAW data from the sensor on the 5D2 probably had more latitude, range and sensitivity than the film stock (the unfortunate part being the RAW data is not what is actually being recorded by the camera to the card). I look forward to the next installments.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would be ready to guess that the 1Ds mk4 will have the option to save RAW out to card though it's going to take some new technology just to save out that amount of data, possibly only available with tethered, etc.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I would be ready to guess that the 1Ds mk4 will have the option to save RAW out to card though it's going to take some new technology just to save out that amount of data, possibly only available with tethered, etc.
    RED does that allready, I believe, so Canon has to do it too if they want to take part in the high end of the market. The question is if they want that, since it will undoubtedly kill a large portion of their Video camera sales. But that's probably going to happen anyway so...

Post Thanks / Like

... it's going to take some new technology just to save out that amount of data, possibly only available with tethered, etc.
    The technology already exists. There have been reports that just a solution is being tested by Canon. And yes, it does involve an "add-on" that is tethered to the camera. Whether it will ever see the light of day is another question. Red's introduction of Scarlet and Epic may answer that question.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zacuto makes nice stuff, but c'mon! The prices are ludicrous! Here's what they want for a few pieces of aluminum. These make Leica lenses look dirt cheap. No wonder feature films cost hundreds of millions to make!
    Last edited by bradhusick; 17th July 2014 at 09:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The cost is returned to the video camera users though. The photography forums all concentrate on still photography while Zacuto is spending money to inform me about how to use the video features, all for free!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Movie gear makes the most expensive camera gear seem as cheap as the cheapest and nastiest chinese toys...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Zacuto makes nice stuff, but c'mon! The prices are ludicrous! ...
    Yup. Their stuff isn't cheap. They sort of fancy themselves as the "Arri" of the video market. However, I have used some of their equipment. It is well-made and comes with a lifetime warranty.

(Oh, by the way, if you think Zacuto equipment is expensive ... start pricing Sachtler ball heads and tripods, and Chroziel and Arriflex rail systems, matte boxes and follow-focuses ... and you will know what expensive really is!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Great Camera Shootout 2010 Part II is Up

http://www.zacuto.com/shootout

The GH-1 is fine at low ISOs, the Nikon D3s ----

What about the native ISO statements: 160, 320, 640, 1250, 5000, 10,000
    25,650 51,200 and up? Why are these ISOs so superior?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Great Camera Shootout 2010 Part II is Up

Quote Originally Posted by clark666 View Post
    ... What about the native ISO statements: 160, 320, 640, 1250, 5000, 10,000
    25,650 51,200 and up? Why are these ISOs so superior?
    With respect to the 5D2, one theory is this:

"The 5D2 has the following native base ISO speeds: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200.

With HTP the camera underexposes one stop then pushes the image 1 stop during raw conversion which increases the visibility of the noise. With ISO values of 160, 320, 640, etc the camera overexposes the 200, 400, 800 base ISO settings by 1/3 stop then pulls the raw conversion by 1/3 stop. This means the signal is exposed to the right by 1/3 stop more than normal so the noise appears less. For stills you then have less highlight headroom for raw converter exposure compensation; but for movies since there is no raw available you can't take advantage of this headroom anyway so there is no real loss.

You could achieve a similar effect with the new firmware by overexposing the base ISO's by 1/3 stop then reducing the brightness in post but the final highlight clipping would be worse.

The bottom line is that since there is no 80 ISO setting the lowest noise movie setting is 160 ISO."

wayne dupuis

I watched these and have to say you gotta give something here to the lens's as well. The Oly lens seem to blow the competition away for sharpness. Cut it way down in camera and bump in post and you can do some amazing things with the gh1 it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

Movie gear makes the most expensive camera gear seem as cheap as the cheapest and nastiest chinese toys...
    Much so (even without the cost of the crew).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

aprillove20

this is so interesting, video are the most powerful communicative tools in history. Video allows you to communicate your message quickly and effectively, while holding your viewers' interest.

It's much better than just a single photograph.

alexrock23

Awesome, I am a film lover for my own projects but also a digital fanatic, to be honest, I have no doubt that 35mm will still remain king after this test, but I can't wait to see just how close Canon has got! I know that my experience trying to grade Canon's media has left me less than satisfied.

nikjerry

Well I have seen you this site and I just want to say that I really like your this video which you have seen here. As I also want to say that I like the project theme which you have mentioned there another thing is that I am appreciating to you to share such useful video with us.