http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_...G10/index.html

All comments are of course welcome.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our NEX-VG10 Review Diary started

Overall seems to be a good product and I might look at picking one of these up. I handled the lens at the shop yesterday and the 18-200 was clearly a silver/shiny-stainless-steel colored lens......is it the lighting or is the lens in your review, of a darker shade ?
    A900 with a few lenses, flashes etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the NEX VG-10 to be disappointing for such an expensive consumer video camera. The AF was simply too slow and exhibited the annoying "3-phase pumping" action typical of inferior CDAF systems where it slowly focuses behind of, in front of, and then finally on the subject in question. It was almost as bad as the CDAF Live View focusing on a typical dSLR (which i would characterize as painful and unusable).

Problem is that this is not a dSLR. We expect much better CDAF on a near $2k camcorder. Even a cheapo $250 Panasonic camcorder has much quicker CDAF without the very obvious pumping phenomenon of the NEX VG-10.

Now i know that pro videographers and indie filmakers like manual focus and focus pulling. But if an average consumer wants to use it for typical consumer camcorder stuff like family videos, it actually doesn't perform very well. Between the inferior AF performance and the lack of motorized zoom, i find it rather limited in that regard. I'd even say that the shallow DoF afforded by the much larger sensor is a drawback for mainstream consumer video use especially with such a pokey AF system.

But the problem is that while i don't think highly of this camcorder for typical mainstream consumer use, i don't think it competes well as a professional / indie filmkaing camcorder either. So that leaves me wondering: what the heck is it actually good for?
    Last edited by e_dawg; 16th October 2010 at 19:06.
    4/3 and m4/3 systems | Nikon and Sony APS-C and FF gear

Post Thanks / Like

The main issue for me is the bad aliasing/moire. I also expected much more from Sony with this camera.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com