Site Sponsors

Thread: The Revolution Is Being Shot on Digital Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Revolution Is Being Shot on Digital Video

Some of this year’s most acclaimed and talked-over movies, for starters, including “The Social Network,” “Black Swan” and “Tiny Furniture,” were either partly or wholly shot in digital.

Why doesn't digital video get any respect of these forums?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/19/mo....html?_r=1&hpw

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Revolution Is Being Shot on Digital Video

Many films are shot wholly or partially on digital. Sony, Panavision, Arri and Thomson all have high-end (read very expensive) digital cameras that are designed to use 35mm cine lenses, and they have been used for some time. They are not discussed here because you are talking about camera and lens systems that run well into 6 figures. (One Angenieux zoom lens could set you back more than $40,000.00!)

The real topic for discussion is the democratization of digital film-making (at least on a serious level) starting pretty much with the Red One and continuing on with such "up-starts" as the Canon 5D MkII and 7D. Both Panasonic and Sony are about to release new camera offerings that are relatively affordable and are designed with professional film-making features in mind. They will probably take up the slack in the market between the Red One (which was and still is a ground-breaking camera ... I mean if it is good enough for the current installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean") and the Canon cameras, which lack many standard film-making features, but produce absolutely wonderful pictures (for the money if used within their technical limits).

There are numerous forums and sites that discuss film-making with all of these new digital tools. I think this particular site is more oriented towards still photography and not digital film-making. If you want to learn more about digital film-making, you should look here for starters:

DVXuser.com
    dvinfo.net
    cinema5D.com
    REDUSER.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The Revolution Is Being Shot on Digital Video

Thank you. I had searched for some sites to help me with my video but I haven't found any yet. I will start reading the sites that you recommended.