Site Sponsors

Thread: This looks like a game changer

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a game changer

Moderators if this post is inappropriate please delete. Note I am in no way associated with this manufacturer but I thought it interesting to post where this technology is going. This seems like a game changer for film makers.

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Small, changeable lenses and RAW capable. I like the way that the SD cards can be formatted to suit your OS. Some may question the m43 sensor and DOF effects, but that could be achieved with lens selection.

The body reminds me of a Nex5.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: This looks like a game changer

The sensor is smaller than m4/3. I think that this drives home however that while big boys play crippling games with their product lines to drive people to their most expensive products, small players like this will pull the carpet out from under their feet.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    The sensor is smaller than m4/3. I think that this drives home however that while big boys play crippling games with their product lines to drive people to their most expensive products, small players like this will pull the carpet out from under their feet.
    The sensor is even smaller than Blackmagic's earlier pro version. I agree with your assessment. The "big boys"- their game is up.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

10 years ago, before I reluctantly switched to digital cameras, I predicted that it was only a question of time before smaller players would challenge the giants in the business. Finally, it's happening. What Blackmagic is doing here makes perfect sense and is rather impressive. Although video represents a very little part of my visual world, I'm tempted to buy this one, more or less out of principle. These guys deserve our attention and support.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am tempted. This could get me into doing some "real" video. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Super 16 is plenty adequate for most people. Because it's using the MFT mount, you'd probably have to be satisfied shooting at "standard" ranges, but for many people, this won't be a problem.

The 4k production camera is even more impressive - no need to transfer files to a computer when the camera writes to a removable SSD!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Moderators if this post is inappropriate please delete. Note I am in no way associated with this manufacturer but I thought it interesting to post where this technology is going. This seems like a game changer for film makers.

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

Small, changeable lenses and RAW capable. I like the way that the SD cards can be formatted to suit your OS. Some may question the m43 sensor and DOF effects, but that could be achieved with lens selection.

The body reminds me of a Nex5.
    I want one! NOW!!! LOL