Site Sponsors

Thread: RX100M3 XAVC-S question

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RX100M3 XAVC-S question

Hi... is anyone using this video format on this camera? If so, are you using any converter to convert the media to .mxf or ProRes?

Thanks for any info../
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: RX100M3 XAVC-S question

After trying various converters, I'd like to put the question a differentway: the RX100M3 can shoot video at 120fps, 1280x720, in the XAVC-S format. However, when I run one of these files through any of the available converters, it no longer plays as super slo-mo. Does anyone have any suggestions? It eems like Sony has set up an arcane little system for dealing with its videos.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony esupport suggests the best solution is to buy a copy of Sony Vegas. Oh boy.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

are you sure the convertors are converting to play back at 30 fps?

they may be converting to play back at 120 fps

K

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, they are playing back at 120fps. I found a workaround. You can play the files back at their slo-mo speed in Sony's silly Play Memories at Home program (recommended by their email support). I have been playing them back in a 24P timeline in Da Vinci Resolve. They look great. Resolve, however, doesn't recognize their audio file format, so before playing any of the XAVC-S files back, I have to convert them.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For anyone interested, I've been back and forth via email with Sony support. They answerquickly, which is good, but I find their answers frustrating. I've managed to get the XAVC-S video into my color corrector of choice, Da Vinci Resolve, and the files look good and are reasonably robust. However, I find that every time I format the SDXC memory card (XAVC-S video on this camera requires a 64gb or better SDCX card) the movie image file number is reset to C0001. This is not true of the .ARW raw image files. Sony claims that this is normal behavior and that the answer is to manage the files using their Play Memories Home application, which is, IMO, one of the most childish apps I've ever seen.

I am wondering how people using the A7S are managing their movie files?
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erudolph View Post

I am wondering how people using the A7S are managing their movie files?
    I use Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 and I can import XAVC S files without transcoding and edit easily on a new late 2014 MBP 13" with the i7 chip and 8G of RAM. I am new to video editing, and haven't used S log 2, but seem to get reasonably good color with PP4 and the default settings doing some filming indoors with LED lighting. I use leica lenses from 24 to 90mm, and in the 16:9 format there is no edge falloff or smearing on video. Overall I am very pleased with the camera for video, and am looking forward to trying some black and white stills.

I hope that helps.
    Michael Rivers
    Leica Q, SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Michael. My color grading app DaVinci Resolve doesn't like the audio format of the XAVC-S files. Also, are you using an A7S, or other Sony body, because the RX100M3 doesn't have an interchangeable lens.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

A7s with Leica lenses.
    Michael Rivers
    Leica Q, SL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what I thought. Interesting video possibilities.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ed, did you try using ClipWrap on the original MP4 with conversion to ProRes? I know the conversion works fine for the XAVC files from my A7S, as I used it at the start myself before going to direct editing in FCP X as Michael is doing. I am not sure however if the conversion is done at 120 fps, but can't see why it wouldn't be.

I first did some research and found that staying in the XAVC codec for editing is a decent choice, as the codec is intended for capture and edit both. ProRes also is great for editing, and gives you many options for post processing and editing software, but the XAVC takes up much less room.

I just installed DaVinci Resolve, but if it strips off the sound tracks it won't be my first choice for grading. I've yet to use it, so can not say if the audio is present or not from A7S footage. Have you contacted their tech support about this problem you're having?

P.S. The A7S running XAVC and S-Log2 (PP7) is amazing, give it a try Michael. Be aware though that this combination automatically sets ISO at 3200.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Chuck. I believe Resolve still does not support audio from A7S without conversion.
    Ed