Site Sponsors

Thread: High Definition to DVD??

Post Thanks / Like

High Definition to DVD??

Along with another parent, I am going to be video a high school fund raising event with a Canon and Sony high-def video cameras. We are planning to use Sony Vegas Pro 9 to edit and process the footage from both cameras to a DVD.

I am pretty sure that I can burn the high-def version of the edited footage to Blu-ray. Can I burn high-def to DVD (assuming it was short enough so the file size was not an issue? How will it look on a HDTV/DVD combination as compared to HDTV/Blu-ray combo?

I am a relative newbie to the world of video, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tsutomu

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: High Definition to DVD??

If you are planning on burning a DVD that is playable on a commercial DVD player, then the answer is no. Commercial DVD players use a MPEG-2 based format that is, at best, 480p. Most modern DVD players with HD outputs (and all BD players) upconvert this signal with scan-line doubling. So it is not true HD.

Blu-ray uses an MTS file (MPEG Transport Stream) and can handle up to 1080p signals.

Remember, this applies to discs that are playable on commercial players. If you use a Media Center PC with HD output, you can load hi-def MPEG-4 files on a DVD (formatted as PC/Mac storage, not video) and play them in HD on your HDTV.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

>If you are planning on burning a DVD that is playable on a commercial DVD player, then the answer is no.

But you can actually burn HD content on DVD and play on Blu-ray players (at least on some). The content is then limited to about 30 minutes. I did this using Toast Platinium.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

An even more clever idea maybe to get a Western Digital Media player and then play from USB sticks.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >If you are planning on burning a DVD that is playable on a commercial DVD player, then the answer is no.

But you can actually burn HD content on DVD and play on Blu-ray players (at least on some). The content is then limited to about 30 minutes. I did this using Toast Platinium.
    If it is burned as a commercial video DVD, no. The spec is MPEG-2/480p max. It it is burned as a data disc, then HD M4V files can be saved there and assuming the player knows how to read them, yes. In the case of a BD player, it would have to be saved as an MTS file. A feature film like "Iron Man" for example has an MTS file that is nearly 34GB in size.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information, Much appreciated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An update: certain recently introduced models of blu-ray players can now handle HD content on DVD discs. You are, however, restricted to the space limits of DVD (~4.7GB single sided) which is about 15 minutes worth of HD content in MTS format.

aprillove20

I totally agree with ustein's idea.

roymiller

Yes, And with my point of view, Consumers came in droves when the CD was released in 1982. The new format not only offers a new digital media, but also a way to instantly access tracks around the whole "album". Convenience, not technology, drove this format almost immediately among consumers. Fast forward a bit until 1997, when the first DVD was released. Again, convenience, not technology, drove people to the mass market.

Post Thanks / Like

¿So what is the answer then?

Could I buy an eSATA blu-Ray writer, plug it into my Mac book Pro and write blu-ray discs that anyone could play on any blu-ray player?