Site Sponsors

Thread: Is this possible?

maine75man

Is this possible?

I would like to do an installation art project where multiple low res cameras are pointed in the same direction and a single high resolution image is composited from them onto a LCD display or projector.

GASC

Re: Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by maine75man View Post
    I would like to do an installation art project where multiple low res cameras are pointed in the same direction and a single high resolution image is composited from them onto a LCD display or projector.
    Yes it is totally possible. You don't even need the multiple cameras to be low-res because everything can be resized.

But I imagine that you want the composited output to be higher than 2k. (wich is not necessary anyway)

You need or a proper compositing software or a 4K NLE like Edius 6 or the latest Premiere Pro + After effect.

I work with Nuke and this is a very simple task to acheive. In Edius too.

If you need the multiple cameras to be sync with sound then you have to work with a NLE in multicam mode. Avid and Edius would do the job.

In Avid you have to work (depending on your footage) with AMA , make the editing and the re-link to originals for compositing.

Avoid the new generation NLE of FCPx that are not ready yet.

On a budget and on windows, I strongly recommend you get an Edius 6 from grass valley.
    On a budget and on Mac, I strongly recommend you go Adobe.

Also: take care about not reaching stellar resolutions (Nuke is res free) because remember that there is very little 4K cinemas in the world and also if you use an LCD and the footage is too big you won't be able to play it with if you don't have 10.000 cores.
    Then, working in image sequence is a good option because image sequences do not consume CPU, there is less calculations for a computer to handle a 10K sequence than an AVCHD compressed file because it has to decode a lot of datas. Image sequences are free of hassle but the counter-part is that they requiere a lot of HD space. But HD space costs nothing today.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by maine75man View Post
    Decent 1080i cameras like the GH2 are not very expensive, or you might find some one here or somewhere who would team up with you... are you in Maine or where?